Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How is this for cost of obtaining instrument rating?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
minitour said:
That's about right.

We're doing it for $35k under part 61 (so 250+ hours) with around 35 hours of multi which includes housing, testing fees, books, charts, etc.

30k isn't unreasonable at all.

Depends on the equipment you're using. Fly a 152 for a while and it can be less expensive. Hop in a SR22 from disco flight on and you're plunking down 8-10k for a private pilot...

......not that I haven't seen people pay 10k for a PPL in a 152 before...

-mini

We are putting together a similar program as well. 260 Total and 100 multi, housing, books, etc all included. $35,000

desertdog71 said:
We are putting together a similar program as well. 260 Total and 100 multi, housing, books, etc all included. $35,000

wow...100 multi? at 35k? ....how the hell ya doin' it? That's amazing.

-mini

I think this is done at Airman in Norman Oklahoma. Just kidding
Schools will bs ya in to signing up and then make excuses on how you need more cash or take more time.

Last edited:
pilothouston123 said:
I think this is done at Airman in Norman Oklahoma.

Airman was a joke....they would tell you everything you wanted to hear on the phone to get you to sign on the dotted line.

"Yes, we can have you done in 12 weeks"

....7 months later......

If you can do it, tell people...if not, tell people. It's a lot better for business when you're just honest with your customers.

-mini

Dont you also have to have 50 hours of PIC as well? Chances are when you get don with your privates you might only have around 15 hours of PIC so you are gonna need around 35 hours to meet that req. I could be wrong though, im just getting my privates now :)

Travis152 said:
Dont you also have to have 50 hours of PIC as well? Chances are when you get don with your privates you might only have around 15 hours of PIC so you are gonna need around 35 hours to meet that req. I could be wrong though, im just getting my privates now :)
50 hours cross country PIC required if instrument rating is attained under Part 61. If it is attained under Part 141, then you do not need the 50 hours of cross country PIC.

My reccommendation is take a plane and go do some cross countries and get some fun cross country trips under your belt before tackling the instrument rating. Get outside the practice area and have some fun...and learn.

I'm probably near 28-30K right now, up to CMEL with 32 multi hours, 250 total.

Still need CSEL, CFI, CFI-I, and MEI.

Latest resources

Back