• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How did this GLA B1900 accident happen?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Uh what year are you in dude? This happened to a good captain. If you ever flew into ord you would understand. Now this mel is no longer allowed with flaps and gpws mel'd at the same time.

I know the captain personally and know about this accident first hand. This is an excellent pilot and believe me this could have happened to any of the pilots. It was just an unfortunate deal.

Is that true that the gear handle was in the up position? I understand that he is a great guy, but I am not sure if I would say that it was an unfortunate deal. He did make a mistake. He forgot to put the gear down. I agree with the fact that anyone could make a mistake like that one day, but I do hope that if you are in a left seat in an airliner, you would remember to put the gear down before you land. I am sure that he had to pay for his mistake and we all had something to learn from this accident.:(

What does being an all-female crew have to do with it? All-male crews land gear up too. Carelessness is not relegated to just one gender.

English,

It has something to do with the thread.. Another Beech landed gear up. Since it was an all female crew, maybe it would spark someone's memory about the incident.

No gender bias intended.

Afterwards Mx got out the really big roll of duct tape and obtained a ferry permit for the thing. One brave soul ferried it single-pilot all the way back to Cheyenne, can't remember if the gear was down and welded or not. Anyway that's a four hour trip on a good day with a clean airplane. Apparently the poor bird got some dirty looks during the fuel stop.

Just clearing up some facts. It only ferried to Grand Island, NE, where it was fixed. To fix the hole in the underside of the fuselage, towards the tail, enough to ferry, they riveted on a piece of metal. Apparently, about half the rivets were missing by the time it made it to GRI. About half way there or better, the single pilot CA had to start slowing down to keep the airplane from vibrating. He wasn't going too fast by the time he made it to GRI. As to the gear, I don't think it had been damaged too much since it was in the up position. Heck, there had always been a question as to how well the 1900 would fair in a gear up landing since the main wheels stick out from the wheel wells anyway. The problem becomes CG. With the gear up (retracted forward), the CG is aft of the wheels and the bird sits on or drags its tail, hence the hole it got.

Latest resources

Back