Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rogue5

Adult Swim junkie
Just got the call for the phone interview and was told HR would call to schedule a date.

Anyone know how many are currently in the pool, and how long the wait has been? Anyone have any idea of the future plans for Hawaiian and Aloha and how that will effect hiring/upgrading?

Are you guys enjoying the Hawaiian sun out there?

Don't know how many in the pool, but there are a bunch. I know at least one guy in from June. They pull people out based on there own needs. It is not FIFO.
Hiring at Island is basically controlled by what is going on at Hawaiian and Aloha. Many go there. That creates openings at Island. Right now Hawaiian has no hiring plans and there are rumors of furloughs. However, Aloha is hiring.
There is no current word of future classes at Island, but that could change depending on how many leave to Aloha.

"....Welcome to the party, boys..." (Southpark)

To answer the most important question first -

No, I am not able to enjoy the Hawaiian sun (and it's getting cold where I live now). Unlike what some people who move to the islands get (Rock fever, Island fever, etc.), I now have "Large continent fever", or "Huge land-mass fever", or maybe, "mid-continent fever".

I've been in the pool (on the mainland) since the end of June. I have queried numerous sources on the pool subject with minimal results. The only people on the "Island Air Swim Team" (I also saw there was an ACA swim team - swim meet in the future?) that I know of, are the preceding posters. There could be alot of others, but I have no idea.

I dont think I could add anything to what Hog said.

Towelie says, "when you get in the pool at an airline, ...dont forget to bring a towel!....." (Southpark)

If the water is warm, lemme jump in!

Well, maybe it’s a good sign for you guys that they’re starting to ramp up new interviews, maybe everyone will start moving up the ladder.

Unfortunately, when I called back today to get some idea of the interview schedule and location I was told that they only had a tentative date in Nov. and then maybe one later in January (both in HNL).

Still hoping for the best though, Hawaii would be nice right now.

Let's get all you Island Air swimmers out there to chime in so we can see how deep it really is.

From what I heard in the past they are always interviewing.
They like to keep a bunch of people in the pool because in the past people change there minds and go other places. they have even had people offered a class not show up.
I'm sure some poeple in the pool are now in class at ACA or ASA or some other place.
Since I'm a furloughee, I don't have many choices,
I'll wait as long as it takes.

Hang in there, bruddah

Perhaps we need a third link at the top of the page here: FedEx Pool, SWA Pool and Island Air Pool. Surf's up (nothing like being unemployed in the middle of the week when there are waves....)

the pool

For anyone who is interested in Island Air and hasn't joined the new yahoo group yet, here's what I know...

I'm interviewing next Wednesday morning for ya'll, along with about 12-15 guys/gals over the three day interviewing stint. Nikki in HR thinks there may be a class after the first of the year but don't hold your breath.

Just curious, does IA have any guys that fly the HIANG? I was hoping to keep IA as my full time flying gig before and after I go off for the year and a half - two years of training. Would I keep my seniority #?

- Freezing in Nashville

never mind

Just realized there was a search button at the top of the site.
Found out pretty much everything I wanted to know.

Anyone know about how much a cheap 2 bedroom apt. around Mililani (or anywhere else in the middle of the island) would set me back a month?

One more,,,,, do any of island air have time for a second job?

later

...By the way, here's an exclusive for you guys interested in working on the mainland:

Fedex has anounced it will be buying 112 ATR 72's and 42's to replace their aging F27 fleet. The ATR's are expected to beging coming online during the spring of next year. The aircraft will be split between Empire (west coast) and my company, Mountain Air cargo (east coast) the two F27 operators. Fedex owns their feeder aircraft and contracts companies like Empire, Mountain Air Cargo, Baron Aviation to fly them. I work for MAC so if anyone wants any info ask away. I check this site religiously.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back