How can you prove, What to do?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rvsm410

I hope to not get flammed here, as I need and real meaningful advise for a serious career problem. I have been in the job hunt for a long time, I seem to get a fair amount of interviews, and have a reasonable amount of experience, so I meet the basic quals of the job listing, but for what ever reason I get turned down, everytime.

I have no police record (at least not that I know of) have held long positions requiring clearances before aviation, seem to be liked,and feel I do well in interviews, especially technically, but I may have a small airline employer that probably would not give me a great recommendation, as we did have some words before I gave my 2 week notice and quit.

Now we all know what the law says an employer can say, but we also know this is not always followed. Is there anyway to find out what is being said about yourself from former employers, or what is on your background check?

Thanks for anyone that may have experience in the area.:(

Bad refs investigation

Perhaps you indeed have a skeleton in the closet of which you are not aware. You can find out. To do so, you should run a background check on yourself.

Get your FAA file. This link will take you to the FAA webpage where you can order your records. Get your state driver records. Get your records from the National Driver Registry. Get your credit reports from Equifax, TransUnion, Experian, etc. Many states have laws that require credit bureaus to provide free reports. Having this information helps level the playing field.

Finally, maybe a former employer is badmouthing you. Maybe you can get a friend to pose as a hiring manager and call your former employers for a "reference." I did that once for a friend. You might find out what is being said about you, although employers these days are cautioned to provide only dates of employment, salary, and how you left the company. There are companies who conduct such investigations.

Hope this helps you find answers to your questions. Good luck with your job search.

Last edited:
Dont sweat it.

All people really want to know is the dates you worked there and the position you held.

A strangers badmouthing of you wont hold much, if any, weight. having many strong written references will overshadow this by far.

Have lots of rec's, be sure thier phone #'s are accurate, and be sure you let EACH of them know which potential employers may be calling them and how important it is.

Again, I wouldn't sweat it - everyone with 7500 hrs has left a job or two on less than favorable terms - I would personally worry if you were in aviation THAT long and didn't butt heads with a scumbag employer or two.

:rolleyes:

Appreciate it butt....

In my interviews thus far, I have not been able to get the reference letters introduced at the 1st interview session, only apps and resumes, which of course state "references available upon request"....this clearly puts me at a disadvantage. some of the positions I have applied for are non flying gigs as well, however the one common denominator throughout these interviews has been my employment background, which leads me to wonder and believe it has to be reference call to past employers.

As to the records, I have no FAA problems, no driving problems, not criminal record of any kind, but the credit was bruised
a few years back. Everything has been fine for 3 years otherwise.

so what else is there but a call to a former employer, or a bad impression at the interview?
Any idea who does a good reference check service for airline folks? I am willing to pay to see what they are saying.

thanks for your help thus far, this is really frustrating!

Lt. Col Bear (ret)

Nope. I dont buy it.

They aren't going to call people until they decide to persue you further - like after 2nd and 3rd interviews...if you went to just one interview nobody checked your ref's YET.

If you are dead set on believeing this one employer is screwing you (he's probably not) just have a friend call and ask about you. I bet they say nothing. They dont care. You are focusing and tagging blame on something that is a far reach.

Now, please take this the right way...its just an idea.

I would take a good look at your first impression skills. You obviously have serious credentials and are able to score interviews. Thats impressive in a tight aviation market right now.

Me tends to believe you are shooting yourself in the foot somehow....Do you come across TOO strong in first impressions? many career mil guys do...too much YES SIR YES MAAM stuff. I would practise some interview stuff with NON-MIL friends. You know, that HR stuff that we hate but makes or breaks the first interview...

just an idea...

good luck!

Thanks and good observation

Hey thanks, your probably right and good suggestion. I am probably being over critical and focused on one thing.

Some of the HR questions seem really starnge and off the wall, I answer them the best I can but really have no idea what they are looking for other than getting along with people, interacting, etc...any good sources for this preparation??

Thanks again....

I hear ya....dumba$$ questions that most of us as pilots just cant relate to...Type A (as most of us are) and HR folks just DONT get along, and unfortunalty they have a big say these days.

I find the best practice is women. wife or girlfriend etc...you know the "tell us about yourself" and the "what makes you different than the next guy /gal coming through here" types of questions..the ones that make your skin crawl..If you find yourself anwering these stricly by aviation and your record - you need work. They KNOW all your accomplishments - they have your app and resume - you need to now sell your personality.

I just find we must force ourselves to "play the game" and pretend we like all people etc...

while all the while we dont really care, we just want to make good money, get lots of time off, and fly a nice plane...simple as that!!

Im sure there are good books out there on interview preps - I would just steer away from the strictly aviation ones..Im sure folks reading here will have some better input..

Good Luck!!!

Airline interviewing can definitely be mysterious...

I would recommend getting some interview coaching, that way you can have someone to give you some feedback on what you're doing and prepare you for those HR questions. I used AlbieF15 on this board for my Fedex interview and I thought he did a great job, very useful and I believe the difference between getting hired or not. And the price is right...

ResumeWriter may be another good person to contact as she seems to have a good handle on the HR thing.

Sheryl Cage's "Checklist for Success" is a great interview prep book geared to aviation.

Hope this helps.

P3tb

Last edited:
Interview coaching

Thanks for the advice, I want to find someone I can get in front of and do this, that way they can see what I may looking like when interviewed as well. Maybe some bad body lauguage or who knows what.

:D

Last edited:
Another expert in the HR side of the house is Ms. Judy Tarver form pilotcounseling.com. She also visits with the folks that go through Higher Power Aviation in Dallas for the variety of type ratings and recurrents that they provide. She has lots of time as an HR pilot interviewer (at several majors) and did some of the standards development that the government asked for many years ago. Can give you a good idea of what to expect and what they expect.

Not employed by pilotcounseling or Higher Power...and the rest of the standard disclaimer, etc. Good luck...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back