How bad would this mess up your career?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My most humble apology!

I stand, most humbly, corrected. Thanks to all the knowledgable responders above for educating me!

I believe the 707s are all retired now, as they were replaced by 757s. Beside the 757s and the two 747s, the President also has access to Gulfstream IV-SPs and GVs (though these "smaller" aircraft aren't as impressive to walk out of).

A buddy of mine driving a metro single pilot went right off the end of a taxiway at night while looking at a checklist. It just so happened to be muddy........and the plane sunk enough that the tips of the props were just a couple inches off the ground. Anyway, to make a long story not as long..... the feds came and were really cool. They said since the plane wasnt damaged and it was an uncontrolled field (class D but at night after tower was closed) that he really wasnt breaking any regs....... there isnt one that says dont get stuck in the mud. So they didnt even record the whole thing.

I guess the moral to the story is.... if ya get stuck get your a** out of the plane and asses the situation before you try to blast your way back onto pavement. If he would have tried a little harder to power out he would have gotten both props, and then he would have surely gotten in trouble.

If the president went on a sightseeing trip in a 172 it would be Airforce 1 as long as he is on board.

This is incorrect. It would only be Air Force One if it were an Air Force C172. For Example the helicopter that flies the president around is a Marine helicopter and is therfore called Marine One.

Would they call the aircraft Cessna One, Skyhawk One, or maybe General Aviation One?

Lets have fun with this one boys ang girls.

"It would only be Air Force One if it were an Air Force C172"

This is what I meant. I don't believe the president would fly in anything not military related.

Re: Career mired in mud

I remember that several years ago some American captain drove his airplane off a taxiway in OKC. One of the mains landed in the mud. I recall in that incident this captain was a short-timer, only a few days away from retirement. [/B][/QUOTE]

I think that was an American Eagle EMB-145 up in OKC last winter. All surfaces were icy, and I don't think he got in trouble for it. I remember I was in MEM on an overnight once, when I saw a blurb on the news about an AE EMB-145 that had turned off the rwy too fast and missed the highspeed. Got stuck in the mud. It was the aircraft we were to take out later in the day. They pulled it out, cleaned it up, MX checked it out OK, and we were out on time! I think the CA had to go to "focus training" for that one.

OKC AA driven off taxiway

You're talking about a different incident. The one I'm talking about happened about 1987-'88. Don't remember the type of aircraft, but it was definitely mainline AA.

Latest resources

Back