How a Union is formed.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

shon7

I was looking over the Railway Labor Act (on the internet) and it seems there is very little management can do to prevent workers from forming a union once they get the adequate number of votes. Having said that -- what is hindering this at Jet Blue and the likes?

Can management include a "no unionization" clause or disrupt the process otherwise or would this be plan illegal?

shon7 said:
I was looking over the Railway Labor Act (on the internet) and it seems there is very little management can do to prevent workers from forming a union once they get the adequate number of votes. Having said that -- what is hindering this at Jet Blue and the likes?

Uhhhh, desire?

shon7, have you got a dog in this hunt? You seem to be popping up in various threads for the purpose of expressing your (anti)union viewpoint -- so I'm just wondering, why the interest?

what is hindering this at Jet Blue and the likes?

Uhhhh, desire?

njcapt hit the nail on the head. There is very little hindering it at JetBlue (in my estimation), other than the fact that there is no great overwhelming desire for a union at this point.

That may change some day. But for now, that's how it is.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure this was covered in other threads several times.

The key is to carefully research the companies you think you might want to work for, talk to the employees, and get a feel for the quality of the management team. If the senior leaders in management are good people, they will recognize their employees, they will be honest and truthful with them, and they will see them not as 5.5 year (expensive) liabilities as is the case at Mesaba, but instead as 5.5 experienced assets. If management is on the side of their employees, why form a union? I know a management team like the above may only exist in fairy tales, but I still believe there are good managers out there.

shon7 said:

No need. The only reason pilots form unions is because they believe they can accomplish more collectively than they can individually. It's not a concept unique to piloting, aviation, or even in labor. The 13 colonies in America reached the same conclusion in 1775. Likewise NATO.

So far, the pilots at JetBlue seem to feel that they would not benefit from a union. If they go many more years without one they will be a noteworthy exception in the history of US airlines.

My theory (I'm not a JetBlue pilot, but I know several) is that JetBlue pilots fall into two categories regarding why they don't fell compelled to form a union:

1. They were hired by a company that doesn't have a union, and "so far, so good".
2. They came from another airline where the union couldn't prevent them from losing their job.

Since I'm an airline pilot, I'm entitled to spout my opinion on both of those basic reasons...and it's worth exactly what you're paying to read it.

1. The industry, economy, and my sex life are all (sigh), cyclical. The recent losses reported by JetBlue indicate that they are not immune to many of the factors that have hammered other US airlines. At some point, the bosses at JetBlue will need to raise revenue or cut costs. Since consumers don't screen flights with requests like, "Please list all flights in order of nicest pilots" or "Please show me the flights that have the coolest napkins", JetBlue is fighting for revenue based on the same preference-drivers as the rest of us: Price and Schedule. If they can't generate a revenue premium...they will have to cut costs to show a profit. The guys in the snazzy blue shirts are a "cost item" regardless of how many times Mr. Neeleman hugs them.

When he comes for their pay, the "Virginians" will start taking to the "Pennsylvanians" about collective efforts. To support this portion of my thesis I offer every other major airline in history.

Which brings me to...

2. Rather than blame a combination of: the economy, an anti-labor President, greedy managements, OPEC, Wal-Mart consumerism, and financial in-breeding (is there an airline G.E. doesn't throw money at?), pilots like to blame their union when things go poorly. Forget the accomplishments it took to get the profession to the point where we can lament the losses...we're part of the "What have you done for me TODAY?" era. We expect our unions (ALPA. APA, IBT, etc) to be titanium condoms that protect us from "management herpes", "economy HIV", and "government gonorrhea". When they can't, we get Crank up the Enola Gay!-angry and blame our unions.

The ex-patriate union pilot then go to JetBlue as either their best option or in the belief that JetBlue is somehow "different". It's true that not every daughter of a fat lady grows up to become a porker herself...but both history and last quarter's losses indicate that Miss JetBlue has been sneaking Snickers bars between meals.

If JetBlue swallows a grenade, it will be interesting to see who the pilots blame. Their benevolent management? The government? The unions at other airlines for "lowering the bar"? (If I was scientist I'd put radio collars around their necks to track their behavior.)

shon7 said:
Can management include a "no unionization" clause or disrupt the process otherwise or would this be plan illegal?

No.

I have predicted that when the number of F/Os exceed the number of A-320 Captains a union would be considered. My reasoning is the upgrade would have slowed down enough to frustrate both the Airbus and Embraer F/Os. It will also coincide with a more mature company much bigger than now with a stable earnings stream.

But that is a few years into the future. The industry will be much different and the dominant carriers, perhaps mergers or partnerships of some current carriers, will cause them to want a union. If JetBlue partnered with a union carrier I would deem it a certainty. The sacrifice for high growth will not be necessary anymore but management will have to be "convinced" they need to increase wages.

I'll turn off the Crystal ball now. Its getting too warm.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back