• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Good luck:
-getting a type rating/LOA
-finding an A&P who knows the plane
-getting spare parts
-paying the fuel bill
-convincing the DOD to let you keep it in airworthy condition

If this guy is legit, you can bet the FBI and DOD are on him like a rash right now. I doubt if the auction will be completed.

EagleRJ said:
Good luck:
-getting a type rating/LOA
-finding an A&P who knows the plane
-getting spare parts
-paying the fuel bill
-convincing the DOD to let you keep it in airworthy condition

-Why would the buyer need a type rating?
-There are thousands of A&Ps out there with extensive F-18 maintenance experience...where do you think all those navy mechanics go when they get out?
-If a person can afford the plane and the fuel bill, the spare parts will be easy...there are no shortage of them out there. Better yet, let me be the parts supplier, I promise I won't mark up the prices much.

I agree with Tonyc....F-16 Hornet?????

Pilots are usually rated to fly surplus high-performance jets with a Letter of Authorization from the FAA. Getting one means finding an examiner who is authorized to check a pilot out in that type. No one has that right now and the FAA likely won't do it for just one aircraft.

If the F/A-18 is licensed by the FAA, it would probably be in the Experimental for Exhibition category. That means no flights other than training, maintenance, and going to or from an airshow, and no flying over populated areas. So much for flying to MDW at M .98 for dinner.

The plane isn't an L-39 or T-33 with simple hydraulics and electronics. It's a fly-by-wire aircraft with proprietary and modular avionics and flight control computers. Maintaining it probably requires lots of specialty diagnostic computers and service manuals. If you were to approach Boeing and ask to buy a spare black box for your ride, I'm guessing they would laugh at you. The parts probably aren't available on the open market, except for simple fasteners and fittings. Any circuit boards or advanced parts that are surplused are probably damaged beyond repair. The engine is not found in the civilian world either.

Again, it's a nice thought, but it's not a practical personal aircraft. If you want your own personal fighter, I'd recommend the ViperJet http://www.viper-aircraft.com/

So your saying that someone who can afford the pricetag and the gas can't get around any other barriers in their way to operating the thing. The person with that kind of money can buy anything....ANYTHING. Let's see what happens...

Anyway, the thing's for sale, thought some folks might be interested, I doubt anyone will buy it anyway.

As odd as it may sound NASA has a program to train pilots of this type. I was told by a freind who has taken the class, that the idea is to train these guys so they are not such a hazard. I know what your thinking and I too thought it was a line of B.S. Turned out to be the truth and a very rich friend is now flying all kinds of jet warbirds.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back