Hobby expansion passes; Southwest wins fight with United

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey flop,

Tell me the story of cal light. How did that go down again? Who kicked whos butt? Tell me again the flight schedule that ran between cle and hou. Every thirty minutes you said. Your so full of crap.

Loser

Flop,

You really need to step back and take a break my friend. You are so close to the issues that you can no longer see them clearly. Some of your posts are just not factual - they're all emotion driven.

In the relationship between CAL and the City of Houston, someone had to blink first. It was either CAL when they merged with UAL, or Houston when they approved SWA's terminal. Idk. But for now, it's spoiled. Maybe we can get it back on track. The cuts are very much tied to the windfall SWA was given. Period. Does not matter how far off it is. We have to cut our losses and go elsewhere.

You're right flop. I think that in 2023 Delta will expand their operations in SNA....SWA would be smart to cut our schedule now since it MAY happen later.

Hey flop,

Tell me the story of cal light. How did that go down again? Who kicked whos butt? Tell me again the flight schedule that ran between cle and hou. Every thirty minutes you said. Your so full of crap.

Loser

You're right flop. I think that in 2023 Delta will expand their operations in SNA....SWA would be smart to cut our schedule now since it MAY happen later.

You two are pretty good at mouthing off, and that's all.

SWA hits almost all airports in LA from all directions. If the SWA effect is real, then why didn't you not hit IAH from all directions? You guys keep talking about how LA and Houston are parallels. Sufficiently so that it factored into your argument that you derserved the terminal at Hobby. Bubba keeps making the point that if SWA had to go to IAH, your customers would have to drive from Hobby. Of course they would. If you guys wanted FIS at an LA airport, would you have one built at each airport? Or would someone at Burbank maybe have to drive somewhere? Or would the City maybe have to choose one central place for all the international traffic?

I think CAL lite went the same place al shuttle type operations did. They were bad ideas and were melded into the larger operation. It did have a lot to do with not being able to compete with SWA in that manner.

Understand that part of what SWA argued about not going to DFW all those years ago was that they never wanted to go there in the first place, that it was too expensive, delay prone, etc, etc. I'm pointing out that those same arguments seemed to surface recently about IAH, even though you had a station there at one point. Your argument changes to suit the airport you are trying to exploit.

Uh, so this "southwest effect" thingy, why didn't it work in IAH? I mean, it's suppose to be impervious to any legacy competition, right? Why are you citing the WA as some problem to your ongoing success at IAH? You could have left IAH and flown anywhere in the country. Point to point, is what you do, I thought. If we're suppose to belive all the stuff you claim you can do, why didn't you get it done at IAH?

Truth is, you weren't about to poke us with a stick, we would have got right after you at Hobby. We were a tough competitor you could not handle.

Why can't you get it through your head that SWA operated about 4-6 IAH -DAL flights per day. It was never going to be, nor was it intended to be a large operation for SWA. It was designed to capture a few of the north Houston folks that wanted to go to Dallas. It was deemed too expensive to continue that service and they wanted to put the planes on more profitable routes.

In the relationship between CAL and the City of Houston, someone had to blink first. It was either CAL when they merged with UAL, or Houston when they approved SWA's terminal. Idk. But for now, it's spoiled. Maybe we can get it back on track. The cuts are very much tied to the windfall SWA was given. Period. Does not matter how far off it is. We have to cut our losses and go elsewhere.

So what you are saying is that SWA has not even turned a wheel yet and you are starting to retreat to higher ground!!! Now that is what I would call the "Southwest Effect"!!!

Southwest Effect on steriods I guess. Maybe we should announce other possible plans and just shut UCal down completely. All with rumor of course.

Flop,

I don't think I have ever seen anyone that is so delusional as you and this is coming from someone that has been on flight info long before they started charging for it.

To think that the Houston city government would limit competition based on past history and close ties is nothing short of cronyism and would border on corruption.

Something that would be common place in Chicago but even there the city government didn't try to limit Southwest through back channels and regulation. They allowed Southwest and numerous other airlines to operate both domestic and international out of Midway without almighty United signing off on it.

To think this would have turned out any different than it did would be incredibly naive. How would the city council explain their decision to discriminate against Southwest to the court from the lawsuit that would have followed. When Southwest offered to pay for a customs building that would bring more destinations and lower fares to the Houston metroplex let alone trying to explain that to the people of Houston that vote them into office.

Because of the costs and resources involved, I think the City could have gone either way with the decision and been fine in court. I think each city has a right to determine what's best for the city and citizens. Just because Chicago does it one way doesn't mean it necessarily would work for Houston. I think it made sense because Houston is a big, spread out city with challenging cross town traffic. In the end I think there will be enough business for both airports. The SWA model doesn't take away from UAL's top tier customers who want a full service airline. UAL is losing those customers on their own.

Latest resources

Back