Hiring consideration: non-US Citizen??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

another cfii

Anyone out there knows if non-US citizenship would be a factor in getting a regional job? I know it all changes after 9/11, particularly in regard to type rating training (upgrade to CA). So any advice is welcomed.

No one seems to know for sure. AOPA is helpful but runs you around in circles and emails you all the wrong links. Comair for one refuses at the moment to look into it.

They've taken a "its not our problem" attitude and basically told the effected applicants to do their own research, find exactly what needs to be done and spoon feed it back to them or else they won't lift a finger to get things done. Meanwhile those interviewed and already offered jobs (but not in class yet) are likely screwed out of hundreds of seniority numbers while the powers that be wait for someone to tell them how to go about things. That's about the only negative in Comair's great hiring and recruiting department, but if you're effected you're on your own.

If you learn any specific answers please post.

Well, from the people that I've known who are non-US citizens who've gotten jobs, it essentially boils down to you getting yourself "permission" to be able to work in the USA. It's all up to you, not the airline. You'd better be well on the route to getting citizenship or you won't be able to get training in anything over 12,500# or turbine powered. Being maried to a US national isn't good enough. This is a tough one where you are basically on your own. Don't expect a potential employer to go to bat for you on this one. My info is from about 4-6 months ago, if anyone has more current info, I'm sure they will opine!

Sorry.:confused:

I have my green card (that means I'm permanent resident, and legal to work and legal to travel abroad). I still have 4.5 years till singing the national anthem. I just wanna see how much work I need to do in order for the airlines to hire me. Thanx for all the supportive replies.

Latest resources

Back