Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mattpilot

Finally! Graphical TFRs!!
Quick question - which is the highest elevation of an airport in South America? I think its around 4080 meters but i can't think of the name...

anybody?

Here's what I found via google:

Bangda, Tibet - 14,219 ft (4,334 m)
La Paz, Bolivia - 13,313 ft (4,058 m)
Gongga Airport, Lhasa, Tibet - 11,621 ft (3,542 m)

757s and A319s operate out of Bangda. I read that the runway is something like 18,000'. These are the highest I could find with scheduled service. Perhaps there are higher strips out there.

The highest airstrip that I have been able to find is at Syangboche, Nepal (about 15 miles as the crow flies from the Tibetan border). If memory serves, it's about 16,500 feet. It's "just" up the hill from Namche Bazaar, and it is used exclusively to fly in people to the Everest View Hotel. A hotel where the cheapest rooms have oxygen tanks pumping into the room. But most of the rooms are simply pressurized. I hear that every bed has a view of the mountain--and that you will need it if you fly straight there from the Katmandhu Valley.

Apparently the only airplane to fly there is the PC-6 Turbo Porter, although they have gotten some AS-350s up there (and higher on the mountain).

I should have taken some pictures when I was there. It's perhaps 2,500 feet long.

Dan

La Paz. Boliva. crazy place to land..On final I,m vref - 10 and still 10 knotts over my tire speed...210 mph tricycle..........They actually give oxygen bottles at the hotel.or try there coca tea

kilroy said:
La Paz. Boliva. crazy place to land..On final I,m vref - 10 and still 10 knotts over my tire speed...210 mph tricycle..........They actually give oxygen bottles at the hotel.or try there coca tea

1. Better hope there is no drug test in your future.
2. Admitting to exceeding your tire speed on a public forum...bad idea
3. Try spell and grammer checker, unless you are currently in La Paz high on tea.:p ;)

It's not tea dude, it's Mate. And to quote the locals: "Coca no es droga!"

Not that I tried it, I liked La Paz, except for the massive sunburns me and my brother had (made it truly painful to put on a backpack, ride in a car, walk down the street... But other than us being retarded, La Paz is one of my favorite places ever.

Dan

Alright flint4xx........Thanks for being a typical smart a$$. Use common sense here. First of all I never said I landed above tire speed ..You slow down to vref - 20 before you actually touch down. And did I actually say I tried the tea.. Once again another smart a$$ pilot trying to make himself look better then everyone else in the room. So do you feel better sitting around checking every ones grammar and jumping to your own conclusions before knowing the full story. You know its stupid muthaf()ckers like you that give pilots a bad name..

kilroy said:
Alright flint4xx........Thanks for being a typical smart a$$. Use common sense here. First of all I never said I landed above tire speed ..You slow down to vref - 20 before you actually touch down. And did I actually say I tried the tea.. Once again another smart a$$ pilot trying to make himself look better then everyone else in the room. So do you feel better sitting around checking every ones grammar and jumping to your own conclusions before knowing the full story. You know its stupid muthaf()ckers like you that give pilots a bad name..
1. Obviously your skin is thin. I had no intent to overtorque.
2. Always remeber to check for emoticons and their implied meaning.
3. Profanity shows lack of vocabulary and perhaps intelligence, nevermind the grammer.
4. Vref -20 before touching down? And you think I give pilots a bad name...So which is it, landed above tire speed or Vref-20?
5. I am no better than anybody else here. I do try to avoid making incriminating or foolish remarks because I know somebody will have something to say about it. This is an internet forum. Lighten up Francis.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back