• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

High School to Flight School

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
With the shortage of warrant pilots and the lack of applicants to flight school there is a high percentage of people getting accepted into the warrant officer flight program. Go for it, timing is perfect for a guy like yourself. The odds wont be any better to go high school to flight school.

If you cant afford to get your PPL then at the very least get you written tests knocked. That will be just one more little thing on your application.

checks, what about the you must go to college to be a pilot? You are not coming over to the dark side are you, endorsing pursuit of a flying career before the 4-yr degree?

I am surprised no one has mentioned the Air Battle Captain program at UND.
You can get a full scholarship, complete your degree, and come out of the college as a US ARMY pilot. The competition is fierce for the program but it is a full ride and the training is second to none. Once you are in the ARMY as a pilot, go into the 160th and you will fly as much as you can handle.

Could you expand on the program. The only thing I could find on the program (including looking at the UND website) is this statement from Sen John McCain:

$2 million for the Air Battle Captain program at the University of North Dakota. This provision sends students from West Point to North Dakota for their flight lessons. Instead of letting flight schools compete for the ability to train these cadets, we have earmarked their training to North Dakota. We are putting parochial interests over the necessity to provide the best training possible for the best price to our Army cadets.

From that it looks to be only open to West Point Cadets. I know there are similar programs to what you said but maybe they are named differently?

Additionally, you don't just "go into the 160th" there are a few hurdles you have to jump before you get there, and as a commissioned officer it is even tougher to get in due to less available jobs and a few more obstacles to overcome.

Checks "With the shortage of warrant pilots and the lack of applicants to flight school there is a high percentage of people getting accepted into the warrant officer flight program. Go for it, timing is perfect for a guy like yourself." Isn't that saying you can fly without a college degree?

Yes i said that. I never said you couldnt fly without a degree. Unlike you, I just dont promote the idea as a general strategy but in this case it is a good idea.

Checks, I also do not promote not going to college as a general strategy, I only offer a counter to the "You MUST go to college to be a pilot" It is not true. It is an alternate successful career path. And every posting on why "you MUST go to college" has a flip side. I only offer alternatives.

Go to college. If you don't, you'll be kicking yourself 20 yrs from now. There will be airplanes to fly in five years. If you skip the college experience while you are young, you'll never get that back.

larryiah 95% of the pilots will follow your preferred path. 5% will not. The 5% are to be judged for their choices.

Latest resources

Back