High Altitude Endorsement Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MauleSkinner said:
I've seen several pilots who couldn't make that transition...it's not tough to imagine ;)
Yeah. When ever I get checked out in GA aircraft and the CFI starts out, "Gee, you have lots of time and type ratings, this should be a piece of cake...", I stop him/her and tell them that transport pilots transitioning to GA are like GA pilots transitioning. The aircraft are different, the flying is different. I don't fly CDIs at work; we don't have a KLN-94; we flair a "little" higher; and approach a little faster. I'm not just getting the check out because the FBO requires it, but I have not flown a 172 in a year and I'm not about to take my kid up in one until a CFI says I'm safe to do so.

UHBlackhawk said:
Yeah. When ever I get checked out in GA aircraft and the CFI starts out, "Gee, you have lots of time and type ratings, this should be a piece of cake...", I stop him/her and tell them that transport pilots transitioning to GA are like GA pilots transitioning. The aircraft are different, the flying is different. I don't fly CDIs at work; we don't have a KLN-94; we flair a "little" higher; and approach a little faster. I'm not just getting the check out because the FBO requires it, but I have not flown a 172 in a year and I'm not about to take my kid up in one until a CFI says I'm safe to do so.

That is just smart. Ditto. You are exercising your good judgement.

I'll go one farther. I am afraid I'll yank the controls out of a/c...though it has never happened :laugh: ...but maybe because I take the time to go fly with a cfi (after a lay-off/lapse in flying that, example a champ on paved runways, a/c) until I feel comfortable. Not just the cfi feeling comffff-iiiieeeee with my flying.

Yes. Good comments. Seems like CFI's always assume that you are so far advanced that the GA birds will be a piece of cake. I went and got a check out a few years ago in a Warrior. I had a real problem with pulling the power all the way back as I was instructed to do while I was still at 500' AGL...but considering I was still doing 90 KIAS <LOL> it was the right thing to do.

Like y'all said, spending a few extra bucks for a good checkout is the right thing to do.

Coool Hand Luke said:
Yes. Good comments. Seems like CFI's always assume that you are so far advanced that the GA birds will be a piece of cake. I went and got a check out a few years ago in a Warrior. I had a real problem with pulling the power all the way back as I was instructed to do while I was still at 500' AGL...but considering I was still doing 90 KIAS <LOL> it was the right thing to do.

Like y'all said, spending a few extra bucks for a good checkout is the right thing to do.

This is all true except I still don't understand why the FSDO wouldn't consider this a high-performance endorsement. The purpose of the endorsement was to prevent any old joe schmo pilot from getting into "too much" airplane. The problem with transitioning back to a 172 is that it's NOT high-performance. Too slow and Too under-powered. I had about 5 years off of GA before I got re-checked in a 172 again...it took a solid 4-5 hours before I even started to get comfortable again. The localizer needles don't move as fast as you expect them to and it takes about .1 to land after you cross the threshold. I took a couple of years off and then got "checked out" in an Aztec. I have to say that the Aztec was WAY easier to get back into then the 172 was.

Later

727gm said:
April 15th, 1991

Grandfathering applied to all who have logged PIC in a pressurized aircraft that are certified for flight above 25000 feet before that date.

That's why you don't have one Al.

Latest resources

Back