"heavy" callsign usage

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

time builder

I had a debate with another pilot about what constitutes a "heavy" aircraft. I thought it was pretty cut and dry with the definition in the glossary: 255,000+ MGTOW capability.
On the other hand, my friend found some wide body fliers who sided with him, that it depends on your weight while flying, thus many military tankers, cargo wide bodies, etc. will occasionally omit "heavy" from their call sign.
Is there more to this? Are they just being lazy, or running out of breath by the end of their transmission? Or is my friend on to something?

Pretty sure the AIM says 255k regardless of actual weight.

...gotta run right now or I'd look.

-mini

Aircraft capable of taking off at weights greater than 255,000 pounds, regardless of actual weight.

DC8 Flyer said:
Aircraft capable of taking off at weights greater than 255,000 pounds, regardless of actual weight.

So, do you know many guys who don't include "heavy" in their call sign? Are they being lazy? Figuring it doesn't really matter that much anyway? Trying to keep their calls short to avoid congestion on the radio, kind of like GA guys only use the last three digits in subsequent transmissions to ATC after using the full call sign first?

But it is only used on ground, twr, and app/dep...not required in transmissions with centers...normally, that is.

DrProc said:
But it is only used on ground, twr, and app/dep...not required in transmissions with centers...normally, that is.

Yeah, once you leave terminal airspace, the separation standards increase anyway, don't dey?

-mini

Isn't the b757 considered a "heavy" now (due to wake turb. reasons)

The 75 is treated as a heavy as far as seperation standards and what not, but they are not otherwise a heavy and therefore do not use that as part of their callsign.

IHateMgmt said:
The 75 is treated as a heavy as far as seperation standards and what not, but they are not otherwise a heavy and therefore do not use that as part of their callsign.

That's what I'm saying..There was a 75 in front of us for t/o, and they called themselves "heavy". I questioned the guy I was flying with about it, and he didn't know either. I agree with you; I thought they were just "treated" as a heavy for seperation, but didn't actually use the term heavy in their callsign.

Only the 757-300 gets the "heavy" callsign . . . the more-than-standard separation for the 757-200 is provided without the use of the heavy callsign

Now, interestingly enough, all the time at EWR I hear somebody come on and say this, basically:

"Continental 355 Heavy, cleared for takeoff"
"Continental 355, cleared for takeoff, actually we're not a heavy today."

So either the pilot is mistaken, or else in the "real world" ATC makes a distinction. But you are right: the pilot/controller glossary clearly says it is capability.

Latest resources

Back