• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Headsets for the CRJ

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah you're right bailout. What would possess somebody to even want to wear a "provided headset" anyway. Headsets are personal objects; like a toothbrush for instance. You wear them on your head and the boom mike is less than an inch from your mouth. Some pilots I've seen wipe them down with alcohol swabs and think they're sanitized. Thats like everybody in your household sharing only one toothbrush and dipping it in alcohol before giving it to the next person...yuck!

The only way I'd wear a headset that I find already in the aircraft is if I forget mine and absolutely have to, or if I'm a brand new FO and need a few weeks to save the $$ to buy my own.

I have the Bose. I fly the RJ. And the only way you would say that Bose are not comfortable is if you have not worn them. I had Telex when I was flying the dash. If you have Bose use them, they are the best out there. I don't care what you fly.

Telex has a brand new headset out called the Airman 850. It looks exactly like the 750, but it's ANR. And get this: no batteries. It gets power through the mic plug. They claim this cuts down on the wind noise that those above complain about. I went with the 750 because it was cheap, but I'd definitely go for the 850 if I were in the market. I've always liked ANR but hated the batteries.

Telex has an ANR model the 500, I believe, that is quite a bit lighter than the DC's and retain the ear seal. I have flown with several captains that swear by them (I have not actually used them yet). I used a pair of Telex 750s in the ATR 72 and they worked just fine but found that I missed calls in the ERJ and the CRJ because of ambient noise levels. Many that use them do so with ear plugs. For now it is the trusty DC's until I can afford another 500 dollar headset.

bailout said:
Telex 750s are perfect. 90% of our guys have them. As far as wind noise goes,. I dont get it. I havent heard anything yet that deserves any kind of other type.

and 90% of the guys that i see with 750's wear earplugs as well. why on earth would you want to wear earplugs in that jet?

fwiw, i use the telex anr500 and they are pretty decent. cuts out what appears to be a good amount of the noise, and they don't hurt my head.

took the headsets off today at FL350, and the wind noise, esp. in a slow descent to 310, coupled with the crappy speaker in the crj, made us put our headsets back on.

i have heard that the sennheiser hmec-ka-25 is also top of the line for the crj.

try the "search" function at the top. this subject has been addressed more times than i can remember...

i have heard that the sennheiser hmec-ka-25 is also top of the line for the crj.

I use these and am very happy with them. They are a touch bulky, but very comfortable. All I have to do to tell how much sound they're cancelling is look over at the other guys volume switches.

Spend the $$ now that you've moved up and get the Bose NR headsets. You can get them interest free for 12 months. I use them in the RJ and are very nice, especially at .74 mach or higher -- you'll really appreciate them then!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back