Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Have you ever dumped a significant other for a airline career?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
See it all depends on the significant other and if flying makes you happy that person won't ask you to give it up.

'Flows before ho's....' Simple, I like it!

I already gave up one flying career for a wife candidate. It was the biggest mistake of my life. I think about it, and regret it, at least once, sometimes more often, every day of my life. This mistake of mine leads me to where I'm at: I'm a mid thirties, rookie FO at a regional, where my peers from the time of the 'girl/career' decsion are 0-4s flying F-16s, or, 767 FOs at a Legacy.

Suppose you jettison the flying career to get a normal 9-5. What's to say she wont later dictate that she doesn't like your 'new' career and make you start all over? Maybe she won't like your car. Your routine. Your hair. What's next?

I know that this is a difficult time for you. Please, for your own sake, don't do it. Have a straight forward, open conversation, not argument, with your significant other. This issue could simply be an issue of communication. However, if not, it is FAR better now that you settle your tab for 'pain' at the bar of life, than to wait until the end of your working life to pay a bill of regret. Regret later is FAR worse than pain today.

I don't know you, or all of your story, but I'd guess that flying is a big part of your life. Simple question: do you spend as much time on wwwtheknot.com as you do on FI?

I dated a latina in CA for three years. She made great tamalis (sp?) and it was hard letting that,.. er her go. When I got my freight job and went to Alabama, she said "no way am I living in Alabama..." So I said, no way is this going to work if you can't see the big picture and see that I'm not going to live in Alabama forever. I haven't talked to her in 4 years. I'm married to a girl who understands the business, is a nurse, and who's father was a Navy pilot so she knows how it goes. Stick to the constant in the equation which is you career, the right variable (the girl) will present herself and FIT into the equation. Also, I have lived by the saying, "if you try to make everyone happy, you'll make no one happy."

CM

If you're really into flying a girl who really cares about you will either

- Be OK with it.

- Or leave you so as not to drag you down.

If she asks you to give up something you really like doing, that would indicate a selfish perspective.

This assumes she knew the deal all along...if you already have a job, family, and life then you should not switch to flying unless she is %100 OK with it.

It's a balancing act but if you're having to decide I'd question the motives/integrity of the one making you have doubts.

Gup

First girlfriend out of high school, after a couple lackluster years I got a regional job 1700 miles away, in an environment where any regional that hired you was a great regional. I looked her up and down, said "meh," and headed west. She then proceeded to screw my best friend and accuse me of alcoholism, but that was just her way of moving on.

Best of all; she used to be 5'9" and skinny, hot as all hell. Now she's 5'9" and a whale.

Hmmm... "flows before hos" is a pretty shallow and warped sense of values. The only real things worthwhile in this world is family and friendships. When you are lying alone on your deathbed are remembering your life are you going to get the warm fuzzies from remembering how you were Captain SkyGod at XYZ Airlines, I don't think so.

That said I would never let a woman dictate my career choices. I don't go for the control freak. Life is a compromise and for the right woman I would willingly sacrifice a lot. For my last relationship I turned town an very good job offer overseas. But that was my decision, not hers. The relationship didn't work out, and I'm a little bitter about some things, but I'm not bitter about the job because that was my decision not hers. I would do it again just for the chance that she might have been "the one". I have much fonder memories of our relationship than I've ever had from any job.

Hmmm... "flows before hos" is a pretty shallow and warped sense of values. The only real things worthwhile in this world is family and friendships. When you are lying alone on your deathbed are remembering your life are you going to get the warm fuzzies from remembering how you were Captain SkyGod at XYZ Airlines, I don't think so.

That said I would never let a woman dictate my career choices. I don't go for the control freak. Life is a compromise and for the right woman I would willingly sacrifice a lot. For my last relationship I turned town an very good job offer overseas. But that was my decision, not hers. The relationship didn't work out, and I'm a little bitter about some things, but I'm not bitter about the job because that was my decision not hers. I would do it again just for the chance that she might have been "the one". I have much fonder memories of our relationship than I've ever had from any job.

Well said for the most part. The most important thing in life is NOT your job, it is everything but. I am on my second marriage, my first did not end because of aviation but at the same time I would not have given it up to save the marriage. In my life now, I would give this career up in a heartbeat for my wife...maybe that is the difference.

M.O.B. Money over B*tchs......
SWS,
Shiny Weiner Syndrome, it's like SJS only for the messa folks they can't get laid while lugging a hunk of plywood thru the airport. Its tough to hit the hotel bar, when your hotel is the back of a shiny RJ and the liquor is all accounted for. I guess you are the Captains Biatch!
PBR

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back