Hangar floor paint

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MaxTorque

Looking for some experience with floor paints. It seems that slick epoxy is the preferred hangar floor. Looks good, fairly easy to clean but on the downside you can easily bust your a** when wet, and adhesion problems can be a nightmare. I am working on a fairly fresh floor and water intrusion shouldn't be a problem.

Max

You can add crushed walnut shells, anti-skid agent event clean dry sand at a rate of 2-4oz per gallon for anti-skid properties.

The epoxies I deal with take 7 days to totally cure and reach maximum adhesion though you can paint over them in 30-60 minutes if you were painting something and when used on garage floors you can walk on them w/o printing in 12 hours at 70F. One thing about many epoxies is hot tires can cause the epoxy to lift from the concrete in that spot until the epoxy has reached its 7 day cure. Water-based epoxies may be different but I deal with the solvent based like you would paint a car or plane with and have applied it to many garage floors.

If money is no object you can apply polyurethane auto/aviation clearcoat over the epoxy for the best look and durability. You can even add the above anti-skid agents to the clear.

Good luck.

Diesel, can you recommend any specific brands? Have you applied the products yourself? I'm assuming these are two part products? How difficult is it?

Thanks,

Latest resources

Back