Great Plains interview: what to expect?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skydog

Will be interviewing in the very near future at Great Plains. What can I expect? What's the process and what type of interview is it? Mostly HR...mostly technical...no sim ride I assume? Thanks...
(oh yeah, 328J type rated currently)

The interview is HR oriented. Situational and past experience questions: "tell us about a time...." I don't think there's any technical stuff. No sim ride. A panel of HR and line pilots. You'll get a brief overview of the company and then the questions begin.

They're interviewing mostly very experienced people and assume you know your flying. They want to get to know you as a personality. Everyone is very nice and it should not be confrontational at all. Go in with honesty and a good attitude and you'll be fine.

Good luck

swaayze, thanks for the info (got the pm as well).....opinions from anyone else out there?

Can Swaayze or anyone else working for Great Plains answer some questions for us?
Payscale?
Benefits?
What are the reserve scheds like?
Do they pay during training?
What does the crystal ball say about upgrade/reserve time with the new planes coming?

Why do high school football stadiums in Tulsa have astro-turf and seat 10K people?

Thanks...

I don't know much about Great Plains except for the basics. Sorry!

In regards to astro turf and 10,000 seating capacity at football stadiums, football in the Sooner state is very popular whether it be college or high school.

As for astro turf, you obviously haven't lived in Oklahoma or Texas in the summer. It is hotter than the hinges of hell in late June, July and August. Watering and taking care of those fields with the heat and droughts they get is too expensive. Incidently, if you are moving to T-Town and have kids look around the Jenks School district, they have good schools and good football.

Tulsa is a nice town, big enough to have everything you need but small enough to have the small town feel. I miss it a lot, especially since I am stuck in this artic hell hole known as Cleveland.

This is it as far as I know, though I'm not at all involved with the HR department, and we're non-union so nothing is set in stone.

Paid training at $22/hr with 75 hour guarantee. Hotel for only the first 2 nights of ground school in TUL then you're on your own (you're considered "in domicile"). Hotel paid for during sim training in DFW. After IOE pay is $25/hr.

Benefits available include Medical (Blue Cross), Dental, Health and Childcare Flex Plans, 401k (no match, yet), Life, AD&D. About $170/month for family med/dental.

As for schedules, who knows. Everything will change significantly with 3x as many airplanes on line. They've been quite livable with RSV pilots having 4 on 4 off type stuff, but again, expect that to change. Today I flew 5 legs, 7+33, TUL-BNA-OKC-ABQ-COS-TUL. Longest turn was 33 min, shortest 20. Duty time of 1125-2126. Had a couple of Arby's crew meals too! Some trips are just one TUL-BNA turn. No minimum day pay. I'm gettin' about 90 hours this month with a couple days' OT as a junior blockholder.

Upgrades? Who knows. The airline HAS to grow and they are looking at a new (additional, at first anyway) aircraft type for longer range ops, desiring them by year's end. That's promising I guess but right now there is no attrition.

In all honesty this is a risky play. The financing for the 4 new birds is still not completed (it's been expected any day for some time now), and without them the airline will probably shut down within a few months (IMO) without new investors. But, if it takes off, the business is planned for growth and it will be a good place to be.

I enjoy the job. Nice aircraft, nice people, home almost every night. We're making great progress in standardization, training, manuals, etc. in order to accomodate the growth safely. Plus it got me back home to TUL where we're serious about our high school football (the answer as to why ...... money! and lots of it).

Latest resources

Back