Goodbye Check Haulers!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jetbluedog

GOODBYE NIGHT-TIME CHECK HAULERS!!! (eg. Goodbye AIRNET SYSTEMS and OTHERS!)

Check 21 becomes law, allows speedier electronic settlements
It calls for electronic check imaging to be implemented within a year.

News Story by Lucas Mearian

(COMPUTERWORLD) - In what will be a major technological change for the banking industry, President Bush last week signed into law the Check 21 bill, which allows banks to substitute electronic check images for paper checks for the clearance and settlement process. The bill paves the way for the industry to save billions of dollars and speed the processing of checks.
The law calls for the use of "Image Replacement Documents" to be implemented within a year, but does not address the exchange of electronic images between banks in lieu of the original check. Bank IT managers say the success or failure of such systems, which will include branch-based scanning systems, data repositories and automated processing applications, will depend largely on changing customer attitudes.

Doug Smith, senior vice president of planning and engineering at Bank of America Corp. in San Francisco, said the industrywide rollout of electronic check clearance and settlement technology will take years. But the rollout at the nation's top eight banks, which are known as the vanguard banks and comprise over half of the electronic clearing volume, will be implemented in the second half of 2004.

"It's really a social issue. The check processing environment has been built around the comfort and security of handling a piece of paper," Smith said of the more than 42 billion checks cleared each year. "In a check imaging world, we'd give our customers a picture of that check. The customer's willingness to accept that is a social decision. It's really not a technology constraint."

While Bank of America has check imaging systems already in place, allowing customers to view check images online, it does not yet have check clearing and settlement systems to handle the processing of more than 8 billion checks each year.

Like Bank of America, most large banks already have much of the basic technology required for check imaging and processing, according to Breffni McGuire, an analyst at TowerGroup in Needham, Mass. Many smaller banks, however, will wind up depending on their larger counterparts to perform their check image processing.

"It clearly is going to depend on the size of the institution and what kind of preparations they've made," McGuire said.

The cost savings for banks created by check imaging represents billions of dollars, mostly from reduced transportation and check handling costs, Smith said. The clearance and settlement of checks under today's manual processing system can take from one to four days and requires paper checks be shipped by plane and truck to the banks that issued them and involves manual data entry processing.

"The very first bank that receives the check, which may or may not be the issuing bank, now has the authority to digitally image that check, thereby cutting out repeated handing of the [paper] check," said Blake Prichard, vice president in charge of outsourcing services at Unisys Corp. and a former senior vice president at the Federal Reserve Bank.

Under an electronic, automated system, when a check is deposited, the receiving bank scans the check once and uses that image to complete the clearance process. At the same time, it creates a database repository for those images that can be accessed through secure Web-based channels.

"It's clearly a huge issue. It's one of those things that when you go to industry conferences, it's a top-of-mind issue," McGuire said.

With the cost of fuel going up and the piston twin market on the verge of being grounded by expensive AD's...wasn't the writing just about on the wall for some of these operators anyway?

I don't know about the other piston twins out there, but I just heard the other day that cessna was considering an expensive wing spar AD for their 300 series twins.

jetbluedog said:
GOODBYE NIGHT-TIME CHECK HAULERS!!!

negative, sorry to burst your bubble, but i disagree young gwasshoppa (seing as how this was a debate in cargo last year)...

Aviation International News Jan2004

Check 21 law not likely to affect check haulers

by Mark Phelps

What does Federal Reserve chairman Alan Greenspan have to do with the market value of Mitsubishi MU-2s?

Late last year, flying overnight check runs (long recognized as one of the ideal turbine-time builders for budding professional pilots) appeared poised to fall victim to the digital age. Legislation known as “Check 21” became law, clearing the way for banks to cancel checks electronically through the “Fed” without transporting the actual paper. A monumental time and cost saver for the banking industry, the new law will go into effect in October.

But what about all those pilots and companies who have been making their living from flying checks overnight? Turbine Air Services (TAS), which supports the Mitsubishi MU-2 under contract with Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, recognizes the speedy turboprop twin as one of the mainstays in the overnight check-flying market. Some 25 percent of the MU-2 fleet is involved in flying under contracts with the Federal Reserve, according to Pat Cannon, vice president of TAS. If that market were to disappear overnight come October, the market value of the 413 MU-2s in operation could plummet since a quarter of the fleet would find itself out of a job–not to mention the pilots who would be forced to look for other work.

Even National Public Radio expressed concern for the potentially lost jobs with a report aired on its Evening Edition news program the day President Bush signed the Check 21 legislation into law. (One unsympathetic listener subsequently wrote to the network complaining that mourning the loss of such jobs was comparable to feeling bad that the telegraph had put pony express riders on the dole.)

But apparently, the midnight riders actually have little to fear from Check 21 through the next decade. Cannon told AIN that key operators supported by TAS report they have received no indications from the Federal Reserve that its contract flying requirements would diminish for at least 10 years. Among the Check 21 law’s provisions, the nation’s check writers have the option of continuing to receive their canceled checks back in the mail if they so desire. It seems the Federal Reserve now anticipates that plenty of Americans will still want their actual checks back (rather than photocopies). Also, there are enough other sorts of time-critical paper transactions to keep the overnight freighters full for the foreseeable future.

Still, one check-flying company is hedging its bets. AirNet Systems of Columbus, Ohio, operates more than 120 aircraft. AirNet announced last month that it has branched out, creating a new subsidiary called Fast Forward Solutions. The subsidiary’s focus will be “the sale of newly developed payment solutions to financial institutions [using] software technology…image platforms and opportunities resulting from the enactment of Check 21.” In other words, AirNet is using its Rolodex of financial-institution customers to move into the digital check-processing business–kind of like a pony express rider keeping his horse saddled, but also learning how to operate a telegraph key.

i agree with wingnut. not all check haulers only haul checks and many banks will probably still opt for the paper checks for a while. at least i hope for this.

Goodbye

Goodbye is correct.... I'm on vacation for two weeks... going to Aruba... and when i come back, i'll climb back into my Caravan and fly my checks... but until then... its time for some frosty BEvERages :D :D

best time of my life

was flying checks and auto parts

ILS approaches to your main hubs MEMORIZED to include the missed

single pilot, no AP, analog instruments, and IMC, HARD IMC, as in 200 and 1/2

Cat II in a Cherokee 6 :D

oh yeah, above conditions + night every flight

probably sharper at IFR at that time iin our careers than even today, years later

workday is over at 7 AM and you go to your frieght dog apartment and crash on your air mattress

try to sleep thru the lawn mower guy cutting crash all day

asking you buddy in the Caravan to paint that cell since your airplane has no radar

etc etc

those were the days

Last edited:
Electronic check imaging

"It's really a social issue. The check processing environment has been built around the comfort and security of handling a piece of paper . . . . . "
thunderworm said:
i agree with wingnut. not all check haulers only haul checks and many banks will probably still opt for the paper checks for a while. at least i hope for this.
Pilot job shrinkage notwithstanding, electronic check imaging is just bad policy. Not everyone has a computer, which makes it impossible for a great many people to view check images online. It also increases the possibility of identity theft.

We had noticed that our checks for paying our well-known department store account were suddenly not being returned, for apparently no reason. We never heard of electronic check imaging until, coincidentally, a local TV station ran an identity-theft story connected to electronic check imaging. We immediately canceled our account with that department store.

People are conditioned that a canceled check, in-hand, is one's receipt for payment. Sorry, call me old-school.

Last edited:
I have a checking account with Bank of America and there are a couple of compaines such as Cingular that will cash my check electronically and I never receive the cancelled check. Is there any way a check writer can prevent these companies from cashing your check electronically and return your cancelled check? If I didn't want a cancelled check for my records, I would of used online banking.

No, The U.C.C. governs

Article 4 of the U.C.C. covers what a bank has to do with your check and what duties/rights you/your bank have. They just have to provide you with a record of your check, the time, the amount, and the payee. Does not have to be physical. Can be microfiche copy on the back of the statement. They just have to do it timely. And, you have a duty to check your statement for errors, forgeries, and alterations, in a timely manner, or you lose your right to make a claim against the bank, should there be an issue.

Rotsa ruck

Low Timer said:
I have a checking account with Bank of America and there are a couple of compaines such as Cingular that will cash my check electronically and I never receive the cancelled check. Is there any way a check writer can prevent these companies from cashing your check electronically and return your cancelled check?
Probably not. We asked the department store in question to return our checks. It refused. We canceled our card.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back