• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LAZYB

Time wounds all heels.
Beers, bears, whatever.

Great taste. Less filling. No it ain't that simple. It's got to be... just right.

What's the deal...

I'm trying to build some more time, so I can get a "career" <cough> <cough> <gag> <LOL> position that's...just right.

Now through a complex series of "sure deals", paying my dues, 50/50 propositions, "dream jobs", creatively financed training, and marriage impairing opportunities, I've managed to end up on the outside looking in.

Luckily, <cough> <cough> I was finally able to land an airline job in '99 and a type in the 757 - which won't get you squat at Starbucks. Unluckily, the great unwashed and 9/11 finished off that accomplishment.

Apparently I'm under-qualified to be a Captain. I haven't flown a corporate jet since '99 and I'm now an ex-airline pilot, with all of the negative implications and "baggage" that entails. BUT, I'm over-qualified to be a co-pilot. AND there's no way I going to get in either seat of a Gulfstream, large Bombardier, or large Falcon, because I don't have any "time-in-type".

Through the process of elimination, I only qualified to be an "applicant". I'm not, ah...just right.

With a little effort and distraction, I was also able to qualify myself as a low-time float pilot and low-time helicopter pilot. Albeit, I flew for a Fortune 100 company as a medium-twin helicopter Captain.

The kicker is that the FO positions in the big corporate iron pay more than the Capt. positions in the a/c I flew for the DOD/Fortune companies, as a dual-rated Capt., and my commuted sentence as a fractional Captain.

If I apply for the heavy iron corporate FO position, paying $10-20k more than I've been paid to date, it's an indication that I have no ambition, confidence, leadership - NOR job. AND again, I have no time-in-type.

BUT then again it probably has something to do with not wanting to - move off the West Coast, move to the upper Midwest, Buffalo, the NE Corridor, SE, or work for the notorious POS operators that would consider hiring someone with out time-in-type...

I'm just reminiscing, not complaining.

So anyway, the beers. I can't find one... just right. No, that's not it either.

CSY Mon is going to buy me a beer, but the beer is in MIA.

Dam# !

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back