• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Giving instruction in planes from flight schools you're not employed at

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Woah there guys, some of you seem to be pretty adamant against this. I was simply dark in this area and wanted to know what the scoop is... don't worry, now that I know the deal, I'm not going to be doing it.

instrucing in other's planes

Don't even thing of instructing in a flight school or FBO's plane if you don't work there. If anything happens you will be paying for every cent of the plane, property damage, and liability since there is no insurance in force while you do so. After the insurance company is done sueing you, the flight school might have at you with another suit for violating your rental agreement.

midlifeflyer said:
I'm not sure exactly how it would come up at an interview, but consider:

When you give freelance instruction in an airplane that is operated by a flight school, you are taking business away from the CFIs who work there, are piggybacking on the FBO's maintenance, insurance, and operating costs while giving them nothing, and are potentially causing a problem with the FBOs insurance (a large part of pilot and instructor checkouts are insurance driven - if you get in an accident while giving instruction, the FBO coverage may be void), and, as you implied yourself, are breaching the rental agreement you made with the FBO.

I don't entirely agree with this. Try looking at it from the point of view of the renter pilot. I meet a CFI I want to fly with. I'm fully checked and qualified to fly the plane I rent, or the FBO wouldn't rent it from me. If I take a CFI with me and receive instruction the school has gained , not lost.

When I rent the airplane and fly it in accordance with the FARs and the rental agreement, then I'm not doing a darn thing wrong.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back