GI Bill For Type Rating

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flying"C"ranchr

I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice. I was wondering if I used my GI Bill to get a type rating if this would possibly help me get noticed at a FO, NJA, FLEX, etc.

What type rating should I pursue?

Currently, I fly for Mesa in the EMB at CLT.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

thx,
rancher

GI Bill

Gunfyter,

Thank you for the reply. Fortunately, I have a backup plan. Uncle Sam paid for my doctoral degree in 1997. I teach college on a part-time basis and do some consulting for non-profit organizations. However, not much of either lately since working at Mesa. Not many days off... I did take a voluntary furlough after 9/11 to build a barn for our horses and teach part-time. If things get real bad in aviation, I can swing a hammer and teach in the classroom.

I'm 43 years old and I would like to stay with one company until I retire. In my opinion, Mesa is a great place to gain experience but that's about it. My goal is to get hired on at FO or Net Jets.

I have some contacts who are trying to get me on at FO. I know them from my Air Midwest days. I am also working on making contacts at Net Jets. At a recent turn around in PHL I came across a couple fellas from Net Jets. One fella said he would walk my resume in, so, I'm sending him my resume tommorrow.

Until I get on with FO or Net Jets I will stay with Mesa. I'm also trying to get in the National Guard in Raleigh and fly AH-64s. Do you know many folks in the guard and working at the fractionals? I was wondering if the HR folks looked at flying outside the company had an impact on being considered for being hired.

Thx,
Rancher

I know nothing about FO or NETJETS....but you can get help with your type if you qualify. Go to www.va.gov and follow the education links. It will identify the forms you have to fill out and submit to get help. Pays 60% of a 737 type for most folks making it very affordable for someone in your position. Higher Power already has everything in place.

Don't know if any of this helps you, but it certainly helped me. I got reimbursement for my ATP/FE.

Fracs and the Guard

There are a lot of pilots at FO that fly for the guard. Mostly cargo guys, but several fighter and rotary pilots as well. I can think of about 15 of them that I know off the top of my head. Flying for the Guard is definitely not a detrimental thing. I also know a couple guys at NJA that fly for the Guard, and they have no problems. All of the people I know, at both companies, were in the Guard before they were hired - so the companies knew what they were getting.

FracPilot,

That's great to know. I have been approaching the guard and reserve from different aspects. There is an opportunity for Army pilots to transition to the Air Guard. So far, I haven't had much luck with it. I'm also having some difficulty getting into an Army Reserve unit where I live. However, the Raleigh Army Guard unit needs Apache pilots and they want me to come on board.

I'm going through the process of reclassifying to a warrant officer. Then I should go to the Apache course. My only concern was how the fractional HR folks looked at the guard thing.

I'm glad to know it's an accepted practice.

thx,
ranchr

Latest resources

Back