Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

wxman13

Smells like burning
As I look past graduation from college, I am looking into several options for what to do next. One is to pursue the necessary training to become an air traffic controller. This has been a latent fantasy of mine for a while, but after visiting our local TRACON and tower yesterday (Chinook Approach/Tri-Cities Tower) my interest has been heightened. I heard mixed things, about combatting boredom in dark, warm, humming radar rooms, but also about the rush of effectively working a busy sector. And working in the tower cab also looks like it could be fun, though I'm aware that there can be long stretches of nothing. I'd appreciate candid responses from any past/current controllers out there. Towers and TRACONS hold the most appeal for me as I think about it now, but anything could happen. Do the pluses of the job outweigh the minuses? Where would you suggest I go for training? I've heard mixed reports in recent months about whether or not he FAA's place in OKC is running these days, versus doing the program at UND (i think...?).

Thanks,
Peter

Well, if you get hired your going to goto a ARTCC. I have a feeling all the new hires in the next year plus will be all in centers.

Have fun in one of those.

MK

Atc

http://www.atccti.com/

That's a good place to start. The hiring situation is nothing but a complete cluster f***. Hiring may start next year or the FAA may just punt until the next president is elected.

wxman13,

I did the ATC program along with my flight training at UND. The ATC course is exciting and very educational. As for UND. You'll be stuck in the aviation environment anywhere you go in that town. Look at the Dorky Pilot Series Threads....they explain UND to a T. I graduated in Dec of 03. I'm still waiting for for a call from the FAA. If you need anymore info on who to contact there, PM me

so if one were to enroll at say Beaver with Commercial Single/Multi Land Instrument ratings...would they be able to skip the courses that pertain to getting your ratings or do you still need to take them?

It seems like 2 years of school is kind of short for ATC guys...seems like you ATCers do more work than they can cram into 2 years of school...am I missing something?

How long would it take me if I decided to go that route? Is it still possible (22y/o w/ current 2nd class med)?

How does ATC relate to flying? stress/easier/harder/boring/exciting/etc?

Thanks

-mini

minitour said:
It seems like 2 years of school is kind of short for ATC guys...seems like you ATCers do more work than they can cram into 2 years of school...am I missing something?

How long would it take me if I decided to go that route? Is it still possible (22y/o w/ current 2nd class med)?

How does ATC relate to flying? stress/easier/harder/boring/exciting/etc?

Thanks

-mini
There are two year and four year schools- thirteen to choose from, in all:

Purdue University (Indiana)
Embry-Riddle University (Florida)
Dowling College (New York)
University of North Dakota (North Dakota)
Mt San Antonio College (California)
Hampton University (Virginia)
Middle Tennessee State University (Tennessee)
College of Aeronautics (New York)
Miami-Dade Community College (Florida)
Inter American University (Puerto Rico)
University of Alaska (Alaska)
Beaver County Community College (Pennsylvania)
Daniel Webster College (New Hampshire)

It is still very much possible, in fact you have all the way up until you're about to turn 31 to be hired. But now is as good a time as any to get into school, because nothing is moving right now anyhow!

Feel free to contact me if you'd like more information on this. I went through one of these programs...and now I get to wait...and wait...and wait :p

Stephanie

As for CTI's, the Gov gave the boot to many of them. As for Riddle and Beaver etc....good luck getting accepted to their CTI programs, they are backed up. Thank god I got into it a few years ago. I was the second to last class to go through the academy before the doors were shut.

Lrjtcaptain said:
As for CTI's, the Gov gave the boot to many of them.

Can you explain this? I am plannning on completeing the CTI at College of Aeronautics. I havnt heard anything along the sort.

So, if I understand things correctly, you can still go through CTI programs and get qualified, but the FAA is not hiring (much) right now so there is no telling how long anyone would have to wait before getting an interview?

This seems a little counter-intuitive considering the alleged ATC shortage with mandatory retirements looming for many in the next few years. Am I missing something? Or is it more the government/FAA not wanting to bite the bullet and step up hiring?

Peter

From what I have heard and seen it is a combination of the gov't and faa not accepting that a shortage is currently in place that will only get worse in both the near and distant future. I would only expect and anticipate that hiring will indeed get underway sometime in the near future. How long?. That is anyone's guess but I would think sometime after Jan.1 of 05. I think all movement is from within right now and no classes are currently underway or even planned out in OKC. If you are deadset on pursuing this as a career then this may be the time to atleast start the training since by the time you have completed it hiring should be underway. I am pretty sure that the majority of the programs are still running or so I have heard through the grapevine.. I know a few who have completed the required training and they are now just sitting around waiting on that call that may come next week or next year, seems something of a gamble if you ask me.

I guess it comes down to personal preference(s) but the money, benefits, etc, seem to be there for these folks from day 1 and will only increase over time. Compare this to that of a new hire regional first officer and I think a few may be a little turned on by the thought of a career in this field.

3 5 0

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back