Getting Hired at a Major Airline

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bally

I have spent most of my aviation career as a corporate pilot flying 135 on-demand charter. A few years ago I was hired by a major airline.

I have noticed during my tenure at the airline that the military guys go out of their way to help get their “buddy’s” hired. It seems like it is in the military culture that they will help each other get in. The airline supports this as we are encouraged to let a Chief Pilot know if a candidate is a “good guy”. We also have an internal pilot referral form which is now used by the decision committee for new hires. A number of the military guys petition directly to the decision committee.

Why don’t we do this in corporate aviation? Or maybe we do and I just didn’t have any friends (joke). It took me years just to get an interview, and I was rejected by the first two majors I interviewed with.

As a civilian pilot, I had no one helping me get hired at any of the major airlines. I waited many years to get in and I began to think I would never make it. With that said, I thought it would be a great idea for us civilian pilots to help each other out like the military guys do for each other. While I may be biased, it is my experience that corporate pilots are the best aviators in the civilian sector. Being a corporate pilot, especially on-demand charter, is more challenging than any other civil aviation job.

I continue a close relationship with the charter company I flew with for so many years. The Company is based in Southern California but has aircraft all over. They are an outstanding operator and very well regarded in the industry, among pilots, and among the aircraft owners who have their aircraft managed or those aircraft owners who manage their own airplane but utilize their charter certificate.

If anyone flying a jet whose owner is looking for a well run aircraft management company or an owner who simply needs a charter certificate, I highly recommend this operator. If you join the company and are of course a nice person and solid aviator, I and another pilot at the airline who also worked for this operator would be happy to sponsor you in the event you are interested in pursuing a career with a major airline. The airline I work for is hiring a ton of pilots and the hiring is planned to continue indefinitely.

While I would like to help all my brethren in corporate aviation, I can not use my recommendation privileges loosely. I therefore thought that those working with my former employer would give me an opportunity to get to know you and would allow me to generate a bona fide recommendation.

If interested, please PM me.

Bally said:
I have spent most of my aviation career as a corporate pilot flying 135 on-demand charter. A few years ago I was hired by a major airline.

I have noticed during my tenure at the airline that the military guys go out of their way to help get their “buddy’s” hired. It seems like it is in the military culture that they will help each other get in. The airline supports this as we are encouraged to let a Chief Pilot know if a candidate is a “good guy”. We also have an internal pilot referral form which is now used by the decision committee for new hires. A number of the military guys petition directly to the decision committee.

Why don’t we do this in corporate aviation? Or maybe we do and I just didn’t have any friends (joke). It took me years just to get an interview, and I was rejected by the first two majors I interviewed with.

As a civilian pilot, I had no one helping me get hired at any of the major airlines. I waited many years to get in and I began to think I would never make it. With that said, I thought it would be a great idea for us civilian pilots to help each other out like the military guys do for each other. While I may be biased, it is my experience that corporate pilots are the best aviators in the civilian sector. Being a corporate pilot, especially on-demand charter, is more challenging than any other civil aviation job.

I continue a close relationship with the charter company I flew with for so many years. The Company is based in Southern California but has aircraft all over. They are an outstanding operator and very well regarded in the industry, among pilots, and among the aircraft owners who have their aircraft managed or those aircraft owners who manage their own airplane but utilize their charter certificate.

If anyone flying a jet whose owner is looking for a well run aircraft management company or an owner who simply needs a charter certificate, I highly recommend this operator. If you join the company and are of course a nice person and solid aviator, I and another pilot at the airline who also worked for this operator would be happy to sponsor you in the event you are interested in pursuing a career with a major airline. The airline I work for is hiring a ton of pilots and the hiring is planned to continue indefinitely.

While I would like to help all my brethren in corporate aviation, I can not use my recommendation privileges loosely. I therefore thought that those working with my former employer would give me an opportunity to get to know you and would allow me to generate a bona fide recommendation.

If interested, please PM me.

Why would I want to go to a Major??? (Joke)

Verry nice of you Bally! I know that you don't have to do anything at all. It is refreshing to see somebody trying to help a fellow pilot, but stranger, by going much further than just answering a post on this forum.

Awesome!

Alex

Latest resources

Back