getting an airline job with a bankrupt record

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

argpilot

does anyone know about getting an job with teh regionals or the mayor with a bankrupt background???

is it posible???

Thankssss

argpilot said:
does anyone know about getting an job with teh regionals or the mayor with a bankrupt background???

is it posible???

Thankssss
Shouldn't be a problem at all, practically all the majors are in Bankruptcy... It will give you a good "point in common"...

All the majors

All the majors have long list of laid off pilots to go through before any hiring starts. It will mid 2007 before any of the legacy carriers start hiring again. The question is who would want to leave a job with decent seniority to go to the bottom of the list on an airline that might not make it. Their are alot of sorry guys who had decent senority and left SWA, Spirit, and Comair in 2000 and 2001 to go to DAL, AA, UAL.

Last edited:
Falcon,

I was going for the same joke but you beat me to it!

As for answering the question...it probably wouldn't come up in an interview but some airlines do credit checks during the selection process and also have in their operations manuals/pilot working agreements that their pilots are to keep thier finiancial affairs in order and not bring discredit to the company.

I imagine they just dont want bill collectors calling the airline...financial instability adds a lot of stress to the employee, etc.

Again, I doubt it'd come up in an interview but you'd want to be prepared to address it all the same.

argpilot said:

is it posible???

Thankssss
Is that the new trend? Take on a 100,000 in student loans to go to flight school, then file bankruptcy to get out of it?

FN FAL said:
Is that the new trend? Take on a 100,000 in student loans to go to flight school, then file bankruptcy to get out of it?
I thought, but could be wrong, that student loans cannot be included in a bankruptcy.

flyifrvfr said:
I thought, but could be wrong, that student loans cannot be included in a bankruptcy.
I believe you are correct, they changed the law a few years back because people were doing just that, taking out huge loans for school, getting their education (which no one can ever take away from you) and then defaulting on the loans...

pilotyip said:
It will mid 2007 before any of the legacy carriers start hiring again.
LOL!!!!!!!!! I love the crystal ball... You do realize if you are wrong (even by 1 quarter) you will never live this down... I know you are basing this on the 10 year cyclical aviation industry, but this certainly doesn't look like Mid-1994 right now... The differences are in 1994 there were hardly any RJ's (most commuters flew Turbo-Props), there was only one real LLC who was of any threat to the legacy's (SWA)... Pre-9/11... There are many things that are different...

Even if UAL started recalling 40 pilots a month, it would be 54.3 months before all furloughed pilots were back on the property (Sept 2004 + 54.3 months = End of March 2009 which is a full 1 year and 9 months PAST your prediction)... And there is absolutely no indication that UAL is even close to starting that kind of recall... American isn't far off from this same number/time frame...

Last edited:
better than 1994

Actually I think things are better than in 1994, there were very few jobs back then, mid 95 into 96 is when hiring started to take off,

argpilot said:
I understand that there is an increasing emphasis being placed on security, but I don't think that this would be something that can be taken into consideration for employment. Yes, there are background checks that are done, but is this included? And if it is, can it be used in determining suitability for employment? I thought no, but someone let me know if I'm wrong.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back