• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FL420

Blues vs. Birds-Tailhook
Company Description:
General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc. is among the leading technology employers in the San Diego area. We offer a challenging and rewarding work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package which includes the following:

Job Description:
Instrument Rated RPA Pilot (UAV Pilot) TJ611-2651 Pilot a Unmanned Air Vehicle (UAV) from a ground control station. Responsible for the operation of the vehicle including mission planning. Will also have additional flight related collateral duties. This position requires travel for six to eight months of the year on a two to three month rotation both within and outside the Continental United States. Operations will be conducted at the El Mirage Flight Operations Facility or overseas.

Experience Required:
Commercial pilot's license with instrument rating with a minimum of 300 hours Pilot In Command time. Applicants selected will be subject to a Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Desirable qualifications: CFI preferred. Prior experience in UAV operation, mission planning and actual control of aircraft is desired.

I have two friends that are in that gig (well last time i talked to them) and its some pretty big bucks, near 100K range (so they said). Only a few months out of the year and thats becuase you're over seas in a war zone flying those things. Its not loggable as flight time although you're still talking to ATC, etc... The hardest thing they said is mastering the weapons systems etc... flying obviously is the easiest. Oh and you have to fly to El Mirage which sucks.

This is a civilian position flying UAVs, correct? And they are allowed to engage in combat over in Iraq? Am I getting that right? Seems kind of odd.

Pugh said:
This is a civilian position flying UAVs, correct? And they are allowed to engage in combat over in Iraq? Am I getting that right? Seems kind of odd.

Don't know about that yet, but I wouldn't be surprised. Just search around for "Air Scan" and "Occidental Petroleum" for their fun in Colombia in 1999 to see how privitized military companies do business.

The Airscan citation to which you refer wasn't military, nor on a military assignment. Airscan was acting as contractor to an agency to provide intelligence, command and control functions; they talked on the radio.

The DoD and many other government organizations do outsource various functions for both cost saving reasons, as well as other political purposes.

Claro: ADC Citation, Air Scan caravans.

In neither case were/are the flights military operations.

Wrong again, Buckwheat. AirScan never operated Caravans. But your point regarding type of ops is well taken.

avbug said:
The Airscan citation to which you refer wasn't military, nor on a military assignment. Airscan was acting as contractor to an agency to provide intelligence, command and control functions; they talked on the radio.

The DoD and many other government organizations do outsource various functions for both cost saving reasons, as well as other political purposes.

1. Airscan doesn't operate Citations, or even Caravans (as you stated below).
2. Airscan is considered a PMC, and that is why I was pointing it out. I NEVER said they were on a military assignment when they were in Colombia. I was pointing out how they sometimes do business.

So hey, you never answered my PM from a while go. Was the co-pilot you flew with (The Caravan, Seneca, just does the mins) the guy I think it is?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back