Gear emergency on Fox News

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
rfresh said:
The news reporters on FOX are saying the pilot has two choices: land with the left main and nose gears down and drag the right wing tip - or - retract the gear so that all are up and make a belly landing.

What would you do?

Ralph
www.wxnotice.com

After I turned off Fox news, I'd would think that with the nose down and a main gear down, I would have some capability to steer and brake. I'm thinking with the gear up, I'm just along for the ride as soon as I touch down. I'm not liking the latter.

You guys shoulda seen it from the edge of the runway.. :)

A buddy of mine got some great pics... I'll try and post some.. :)

Tram said:
You guys shoulda seen it from the edge of the runway.. :)

A buddy of mine got some great pics... I'll try and post some.. :)

Saw a quick video snippet...how much room did he have when he stopped. Looks like he landed waaay down the runway, but then again, I don't know how long the runway was, so maybe not an issue.

jergar999 said:
From a current A100 driver (me)

The 100 and A100 models of the King Air use a single electric motor to move all the gear down. It is connected to a gear that turns torque tubes for the mains and a chain that runs from about the spar to the nosegear to lower the front. Basic gear failure involves pulling the C.B., putting the gear handle in the down position, rotating a small floor lever clockwise and pumping until you can't feel your arm anymore. I can't remember right off hand what the recommedations are with regard to partial extensions, buy I'll look it up.

I didn't get to see this happen, are they replaying it anywhere now?

Edit: It looks like this was a B100, which I have never flown and I'm not sure what they use for a gear system.

The B100 landing gear is the same as the 100 and A100. jergar999's post is correct.

There is no published procedure for a split gear landing in the B100. But, given the choice, I'm pulling them all up. It gets one more POS 100 off the street and gives me the best chance for directional control. Let the insurance deal with it. It's what we pay them for.

DAS

DAS at 10/250 said:
There is no published procedure for a split gear landing in the B100. But, given the choice, I'm pulling them all up. It gets one more POS 100 off the street and gives me the best chance for directional control.
DAS

I couldn't agree more. How many prop blades do most B100's have?

I hear the five blade is quieter in the cabin. We are 400 hours from either new motors or an upgrade to a 200. If we stick with what we got I'll be fighting for the conversion.

"....they can tell you about the plane crash, with a gleam in their eye.
It's interesting when people die, give us dirty laundry."

Don Henly

I am sick to death of these media know-nothings. Think about it for a moment. We know how much they had wrong with this story, the Jet Blue gear problem, or any other aviation story for that matter. What makes anyone think their coverage of any other field is accurate?

And yet, it's quite clear pilots are STILL overpaid and underworked. Right?

ultrarunner said:
Saw a quick video snippet...how much room did he have when he stopped. Looks like he landed waaay down the runway, but then again, I don't know how long the runway was, so maybe not an issue.

He probably had 450 feet or so before he went off the end of 32 and down into the woods..

Latest resources

Back