Gear emergency on Fox News

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
rfresh said:
The pilot will land according to what the emergency checklist says. If he chooses to land in a different configuration then he better have a dang good reason and he'll need to convience the FAA and the insurance company!!

Ralph
www.wxnotice.com

True, provided that the particular checklist actually addresses the issue.
Again, it would be interesting if any KingAir-100 pilots would chime in with the written procedures. I've never flown a Beech/Raytheon turboprop, but I have flown several aircraft that do not make a recommendation (for configuration) either way, and those that do, recommended leaving the functional gear down.
-Stepclimb

Once again fox news provides nothing but dissapointment. Can't they stick in some fiery airbus-test-flight crash footage to satisfy me? Or at least a tractor pull competition gone terribly wrong ;-)

Glad the KA pilot did a good job

From a current A100 driver (me)

The 100 and A100 models of the King Air use a single electric motor to move all the gear down. It is connected to a gear that turns torque tubes for the mains and a chain that runs from about the spar to the nosegear to lower the front. Basic gear failure involves pulling the C.B., putting the gear handle in the down position, rotating a small floor lever clockwise and pumping until you can't feel your arm anymore. I can't remember right off hand what the recommedations are with regard to partial extensions, but I'll look it up.

I didn't get to see this happen, are they replaying it anywhere now?

Edit: It looks like this was a B100, which I have never flown and I'm not sure what they use for a gear system.

Last edited:
That video was great...I like the writing next to it on the site "After failing to land with two gear." It was also pretty cool how long it took them to exit the a/c, and the nice slow stroll after they finally got out. Was that the pax luggage the pilot was carrying or his flight gear, it almost looked like a flight bag, his jacket and a small bag which could have been a headset. So do you think they would have moved faster if it had caught fire...if not it wouldn't have turned out so well.

Latest resources

Back