Future ASA Plans

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RyanB727

Someone in another thread mentioned the letter that was sent out to those of us still in the ASA pool. Here is the entire letter verbatim for those who are interested:

"This letter serves to inform you of Atlantic Southeast Airlines current training needs for the upcoming year and to update you in our new procedure for processing background checks. We are presently beginning the retirement of our Embraer Brasilias and replacing them with the Canadair Regional Jets. Seven EMB-120s will be removed by the end of February 2003 and an unknown number will continue to be removed from the Atlanta system throughout the spring of 2003. Current E-120 crews will transition into the new CRJs as we take delivery. Due to these circumstances, we do not forsee a new hire class for six months, possibly one year. As you know, the aviation industry is a versatile one and this forecast is subject to change. We will keep all of your information on file and contact you when we resume hiring. Please keep us updated with your current address and phone number, but it won't be necessary to send updated resumes until a later date.

Due to the recent changes mandated by the Federal Aviation Administration and Transportation Security Administration, we will now be required to process all background information immediately after a pilot has been accepted into our pool. What this means for you, is that the Pilot Records Improvement Act (PRIA) forms you have filled out, will be sent to current and former employers before you are awarded a class date. This process will go into effect Feb 1st. Any inconsistencies with your background may be grounds from removal from our pool. You will be contacted by ASA if such a situation should occur. ASA still requires a 100 hours of flight time in the last six months, we encourage you to keep flying while you are awaiting a class date. For further updates on our company hiring status, visit our website at www.flyasa.com.

Sincerely,
Captain Julie R. Ellis
Pilot Recruiting
Atlantic Southeast Airlines"

Last edited:
Won't run to the mailbox . . .

Thanks Ryan for the post. Have you or any of the poolies heard for sure how many of us in the pool? If anyone calls, please ask so we will know how we stand and how many classes they will need before they get us all.

Now, if anyone out there in the EMB in Atlanta who is being displaced can keep us up to date on the number of CRJ classes, how many per class, etc. and any rumors you hear about the retiring of the EMB, we would be grateful.

I'm not sure how the rest of you feel, but I don't think I would be too happy about my current employer receiving the PRIA paperwork while I am still employed. Nothing like letting the boss know you're looking for work. Especially work that could be a year away!

Re: Won't run to the mailbox . . .

btflyer2 said:
]Now, if anyone out there in the EMB in Atlanta who is being displaced can keep us up to date on the number of CRJ classes, how many per class, etc. and any rumors you hear about the retiring of the EMB, we would be grateful.

I am an ASA pilot. Here is the scoop. I won't quote the management official who said this, but let's say he's way up there. This is pretty much public info because he gave a talk in the crew lounge last week.

There will be no more new hire classes until Nov 2003 at the earliest. The current plan is to retire the E120 from ATL by March, and systemwide by Jun, but of course, the story changes daily.
In light of this, the current plan calls for all current E120 pilots to go through CRJ or ATR training according to bids in seniority order. No displacements have been announced yet, and the company thinks they will have enough time to move everyone voluntarily so as not to need displacements.
There are so far 2 classes per month for transition pilots of about 20 people each. This will continue until all pilots are trained off the E120. This process will most likely extend into the Fall since there are about 100 E120 pilots in ATL and about 80 in DFW. This means the company's estimates of new hire training resuming are probably optimistic.
The other problem is that our CRJ delivery schedule keeps slowing. Due to internal Delta Connection vs ASA management issues, coupled with last year's strike at Bombardier there aren't as many CRJs to go around as they thought. This means the E120 retirement may again be slowed since pilots coming off of it may not have a place to go if the jets don't keep coming. The company has said they don't plan to furlough, but there will clearly be a pilot surplus for quite a while. This doesn't bode well for newhires. Don't let this discourage you... you are still in the pool... I just want you to get the honest word of how long it may be.

sleepy[/i] [B] Just a word of advice Ryan FO. It would not be too difficult for someone at ASA to figure out who you are (someone who is a current 727 FO at Ryan Air and in the ASA pool) . I would get rid of the reference to the quality of writing in the ASA letter. You never know who might be on here. [/B][/QUOTE] That's excellent advice. ASA management does in fact lurk here and ASA pilots have been reprimanded for divulging info like what I have given here. Be careful what you say because eyes are watching. [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by trainerjet said:
I'm not sure how the rest of you feel, but I don't think I would be too happy about my current employer receiving the PRIA paperwork while I am still employed. Nothing like letting the boss know you're looking for work. Especially work that could be a year away!

Very true. It's unfortunate that ASA must operate this way, but apparently it's a government mandate so there isn't much they can do. The best advice is to be honest with your current boss and tell them what's going on so that it won't be a surprise when the forms come. You may wish to explain to your boss that this doesn't necessarily mean you're leaving anytime soon. Explain how long this process may take. Most bosses will understand. They have been around long enough to know that everyone in aviation is always keeping their prospects open at all times. It's part of the industry. They know they're at the entry level and expect you to be "climbing the ladder". Just be sure to express your continued loyalty to them and the company, despite your keeping your options open and you should be fine.

Very good advice about keeping comments to yourself. Aviation is a very small world. You never now who could be listening or watching. I know by experience, not a bad one thank god!!!!

A revised February equipment final was posted today.

ATL 26 CRJ CPT slots

ATL 30 CRJ FO slots.

these are all EMB transitions give or take. Thats 50+ EMB pilots going to training with an effective date of 6-1-03.

You'll notice my original post has been edited...

Of course, now the genie is out of the bag....now everyone else who made a comment about my post has to go back and delete it....*grin*

better things to do

One would think mgmt. would have better things to do than sit around and monitor what's being said on message boards.

They (interviewers) flat out told my interview group that they browse this site and aviationinterviews.com. We were told they DO NOT appreciate gouge or any other interview information going out. Again, be careful, you never know who's watching.

P.S. I went to Comair...so, no worries here!!

Last edited:
Hey, speaking of Comair. How is it over there? You guys have decent morale? How does the company treat you? Thanks

Latest resources

Back