Fuel Critical?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pilothouston123

Yep it happened to me and I was reluctant to announce it to ATC. If you do can you expect some follow up paperwork and possbile scquitny?

Posted for a friend.

pilothouston123 said:
Yep it happened to me and I was reluctant to announce it to ATC. If you do can you expect some follow up paperwork and possbile scquitny?

Posted for a friend.
Depends on how much of an "incident" you had. If ATC had to move the moon and stars to get you on the ground, you might get a call. On the other hand a simple "Minimum fuel" call and no one in front of you will probably not get noticed.

pilothouston123 said:

Posted for a friend.
A "minimum fuel" call should result in no scrutiny. Normally that tells the controller that you can't accept any delays. In theory, it should be made BEFORE you get to the point where you'll land with less than legal fuel.

Had to do it a couple of times myself...nothing was made of it, except for one guy in the pilot lounge who thought I did it just to avoid delays. (not the case, BTW)

Fly safe!

David

"Minimum fuel" does not necessarily get you any priority. It's advisory only to the controller. Now, "emergency fuel" will get you priority.

I've stated "minimum fuel" once in flight (last year), and twice on the ground (PHX, long congo line). On the ground the controller got the hint an I went back for more fuel (lear 24D). By coincidence, the recent minimum fuel report in flight was also going into PHX. A lot of aircraft were diverting for weather, and after a long trip and the last part of it low with rerouting for weather, I was asked about diverting, and I stated minimum fuel and that I needed PHX. Without making the request for priority handling, I was given it, and the controller noted that a lot of other aircraft were in the same boat that night.

In retrospect, I should have probably made an earlier decision to head for LAS instead of going to PHX, but I didn't anticipate the delays we got as low as we were.

I never heard another word about it.

A lot of controllers understand that as soon as you break ground in the LJ24 you are fuel critical! Not Indy Center though. Those guys start bringing you down 200 miles out. I'll get down as slowly as I can until they tell me to expedite on down. Then I pull the thrust and glide on down saving all the fuel I can.

Minimum fuel is no guarantee of anything, if you are critical fuel it is time to take charge. If I am fuel critical and I have planned properly, I would declare an emergency and get the airplane on the ground. Sort out the paperwork later. Having declared emergencies as a civilian, I have never been asked for anything except for "Do you need further assistance" after I cancelled the emergencies. One was SE landing, and other was a loss of primary Hyd system.

Dont worry about question the feds are going to ask. Its more important keeping yourself a live and even my family who is on board that aircraft so make min fuel call and get on the ground!!!!!!!

Min fuel is advisory to the controller. Although, no guarantees, I've never NOT had expedited handling for the few times I've declared and never turned into an emergency.

I'd alway declare where there was an option if ATC couldn't handle me without delay, but never happened. The goal is to get to the destination with the min fuel you have. It's not an emergency. I've probably done it ~10 to 15 times in everything from a Bonanza to a 747, with no problems.

Larryo

Latest resources

Back