From Planes to Hot Air Balloons

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Delta3

How easy is it to transfer from PPL to LTA?

Is it worth it? How much does a regular hot air balloon cost, how much can you fly it (due to weather)?

I've never been in one, but it sure seems like a great time from what I've seen on tv.

one balloon operator used to have tiny ads in the back of FLYING mag; they were ADVENTURE FLIGHTS of Perris Valley east of Los Angeles. they'd know

If by PPL you mean private pilot certificate (not license), you don't "transfer" from a private pilot to lighter-than-air. You add on a category and class rating, but your pilot certificate remains the same. Lighter than air is the category rating, and you have a choice between balloon or airship ratings.

Adding on a balloon rating to an existing private pilot certificate is relatively simple. Any commercially certificated balloon pilot can instruct you; there is no flight instructor rating available, or needed, to teach in a balloon. Only a commercial. Also, no medical certificate is required.

Only ten hours of instruction are required. One hour must be within 60 days of your practical test. One flight must be while performing the duties of PIC, with your "instructor" on board. AT leeast one flight must extend at least 3,000' above the launch site.

The specifics are covered in 14 CFR 61.107(b)(8), and 61.109(h).

Is it worth it? A very subjective question. Worth it to whom, and compared to what? Worth it to hang in the air for extended periods, and navigate by spitting over the edge of the basket? Sure. Worth it to turn over your control to luck, fate, and unpredictable winds and terrain? Ah, that's up to you.

How much does it cost? That varies. If you're talking buying a balloon, you can purchase one for six thousand dollars on up, depending on size model, age, condition, and how much you love your hide. Add insurance to that, sell your car, kiss your dog goodby and occasionally buy a stamp to write your wife, and you're set. Don't forget a chase crew, and a wells cargo type trailer to haul your balloon about in. Oh ya; champaign; you can't fly without it...it's a balloon thing.

If you get one, let me know. You can fly it, and I'll come jump it. (The true reason that God inspired the invention of the hot air balloon). ;)

avbug said:
Oh ya; champaign; you can't fly without it...it's a balloon thing.

I thaught the FARs said 8 hours bottle to... ummm... basket. :confused:

The toast is traditionally made after the flight. It's traditional for a first balloon flight, and is made by each first flyer. This is generally done at sunrise. However, there is no tradition against the pilot drinking to each first flyer, each flight, each touchdown, each foot of altitude gained, each grain of sand on the beaches of the pacific, each...

What do I care? I don't drink.

I inhale through a straw.

the joke about the champagne toast used to be that, if you had landed in an angry farmer's field, you could break the bottle to use to defend yourself.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back