• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

From Bottle to Throttle

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

When do you personally stop drinking before flying?

• 24 hours or more

Votes: 29 16.5%
  • 12 hours

Votes: 78 44.3%
  • 10 hours

Votes: 19 10.8%
  • 8 hours

Votes: 36 20.5%
  • 6 hours

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • The keg is in the jump seat.

Votes: 10 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Who would ever be stupid enough to admit to drinking and flying inside the FAA 8 hour limit? DUH! Besides... Its not when you last had a drink, its how much alcohol do you still have in your blood. From what I understand .04 is the FAA limit but if you get random checked by the airline you fly with, any alcohol at all is grounds for termination. So... if you want to play you better get ready to pay!

Drinking

Cant afford to drink , all my money goes in one end IE the fuel Tank and comes out the Exhaust pipe.

Where is the drinking money at??? and besides any money left over after flying wife winds up with,,,,,

:D

Yeah, that Northwest crew that was found still over the legal limit AFTER the flight arrived was a few years ago. I saw a documentary on it, and the captain is now a captain with NWA again. He lost all of his certificates, and went to prison, but earned them back and was approved to be a captain again after a lot of hard work.

Ned, what you need to do is make a bong out of the juice can air vents in the high wing cessnas. Of course, *I* have never done anything like that before, but some friends told me about it. :D

No, I would not know anything about toking smot or frying or drinking till I can't even sit up straight...not near an airport anyhow. Or within *how many feet was it* some distance from an aircraft that I'm not hallucinating. I admit nothing of the sort.

I admit to flying hung over though, and **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**, that was one hell of a mistake. Can we say nausea at 6,500 feet? Yecccccch.

Stephanie

What are you guys talking about

It's 8 hours or 35 feet between bottle to throttle, which ever is closer?

surplus1 said:

dispatchers, etc. have better rest rules
Fascinating.

Gotta correct you on that one. 121 dispatchers are required to get 24 hours off in 7 days, "or the equivalent thereof in a calendar month."

That means that my airline could work me for 26 days straight, and give me 4 or 5 days off at the end of the month, and its totally legal under the FARs. I got my 24 hours off per week, the reg just doesnt say that that time off needs to be in the week worked (i.e., there is no true regulatory 1-in-7 like pilots).

Granted, most dispatcher contracts interpret the 24 off in 7 rule as if it were a 1-in-7 like pilots (ours does), but we can trade into a less than 1-in-7. Its that loophole that allows the airlines to hire fewer dispatchers, knowing that some guys will pickup the open time as overtime and be overtime whores. I know dispatchers who will schedule themselves thru trades and opentime pickups, for 15-16 days straight. No thanks. After 6 days of looking at flight plans, I need time away.

I'll admit to a few highly intoxicating "post" flight briefings when I was instructing (beer bottles make great VOR's when discussing VOR tracking), and passing out in the back of a 421 in the hanger after a bash at local FBO. But flying under the influence...never. 12 hours is my limit (and my company's) after a casual beer or glass of wine. If it been a real "elbow bender", then 24 hours is my limit.

Latest resources

Back