• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Fox News and age 60

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Something needs to change. If you are for keeping 60..then you need to be supporting a change in social security rules and any other rule or benefit that someone who is say 70 gets. If you want the age to increase to 65...then you need to support the company not changing pension law.

I have emailed everyone on the senate appropriations committee.

It was very easy with Andy's compiled list. Andy could you please paste the list with the senate link on this thread.

There is one last hurdle to overcome to keep age 60 in place for the next couple of years (I make no predictions past that). When the 109th Congress adjourned, they didn’t complete their task of funding the government for FY07; they passed a temporary Continuing Resolution to fund the effected agencies and left nine appropriations bills as unfinished business. One of those appropriations bills, HR 5576, funded the Department of Transportation. The text of S 65 (changing pilot retirement age to 65) was inserted during subcommittee markup of HR 5576 in the 109th Congress. While HR 5576 is dead, the Appropriations subcommittee will likely use HR 5576 as a template for the final appropriations bill.

It will be up to the 110th Congress to pass those appropriations bills and they’re likely to do so in one omnibus appropriations bill. After the bills leave committee, Senators will only have a yes or no vote; they’ll be unable to remove any offensive parts of the bill. Therefore, it’s very important to target key Democratic Senators on the Appropriations Committee to have the text of S 65 stripped from the Transportation Appropriations Bill.

I’ll break it down into three groups of Senators where your efforts will get the most bang for the buck. The first group is THE KEY group; if you are only going to contact one group, hit the ones on the Appropriations Committee. Note that many names are on multiple lists.

First are the Senators on the Appropriations Committee and Appropriations Subcommittee for Transportation (this is where any changes to the bill will be made). They have not been finalized, but this is the latest information from Sen. Reid’s (D-NV; Senate Majority Leader) website. The key targets here are:
Sen. Byrd (D-VW) *
Sen. Inouye (D-HI)
Sen. Leahy (D-VT) *
Sen. Harkin (D-IA) *
Sen. Mikulsi (D-MD) *
Sen. Kohl (D-WI) *
Sen. Murray (D-WA) *
Sen. Dorgan (D-ND) *
Sen. Feinstein (D-CA)
Sen. Durbin (D-IL) *
Sen. Johnson (D-SD)
Sen. Landrieu (D-LA)
Sen Reed (D-RI)
Sen Lautenberg (D-NJ)
Sen Ben Nelson (D-NE)
* indicates member of Subcommittee on Transportation, Treasury, the Judiciary, Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies

Second, several Senators received contributions from ALPA and APA PAC. They are: (note that the first six were in key races)
Sen. Brown (D-OH), $10K ALPA, $5K APA
Sen. Cardin (D-MD), $5K ALPA
Sen. Casey (D-PA), $5K ALPA
Sen. McCaskill (D-MO), $5K ALPA
Sen. Menendez (D-NJ), $10K ALPA
Sen. Webb (D-VA), $5K ALPA
Sen. Akaka (D-HI), $7.5K ALPA, $5K APA
Sen. Baucus (D-MT), $2.5K ALPA
Sen. Bingaman (D-NM), $10K ALPA
Sen. Byrd (D-WV), $10K ALPA, $4K APA
Sen. Carper (D-DE), $5K ALPA
Sen. Clinton (D-NY), $5K APA
Sen. Conrad (D-ND), $7.5K ALPA
Sen. Durbin (D-IL), $5K ALPA
Sen. Feinstein (D-CA), $7.5K ALPA
Sen. Ted Kennedy (D-MA), $7.5K ALPA, $5K APA
Sen. Lautenberg (D-NJ), $5K ALPA
Sen. Murray (D-WA), $5K ALPA
Sen. Ben Nelson (D-NE), $10K ALPA
Sen. Rockefeller (D-WV), $2.5K ALPA
Sen. Sanders (I-VT), $10K ALPA
Sen. Stabenow (D-MI), $7.5K ALPA

Third, are the Democrats on the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation. They are:
Sen. Inouye (D-HI), Committee Chair
Sen. Rockefeller (D-WV), Aviation Subcommittee Chair
Sen. Kerry (D-MA)
Sen. Dorgan (D-ND)
Sen. Boxer (D-CA)
Sen. Bill Nelson (D-FL)
Sen. Cantwell (D-WA)
Sen. Ben Nelson (D-NE)
Sen. Pryor (D-AR)
Sen. Carper (D-DE)
Sen. McCaskill (D-MO)
Sen. Klobuchar (D-MN)

As far as the content of any letter/e-mail/fax/phone call to the Senators’ offices, I recommend hitting on the following points:
1) In the 109th Congress, a legislative amendment to change pilot retirement age to 65 was added to HR 5576, an appropriations bill. Since changing pilot retirement age is a legislative action, it’s inappropriate to leave this legislative amendment in an appropriations bill.
2) On 4 Jan 2007, Sen Inhofe introduced a legislative bill, the Freedom to Fly Act, with the exact same content as is contained in the appropriations amendment. This is a subject that should be debated in the light of day, not buried deep within an appropriations bill.
3) Include something in the subject line indicating that you are writing in reference to the Transportation Appropriations Bill so that your correspondence can be directed to the proper Senate staffer.

Congress does not like to use appropriations bills for legislation, and even Senators in favor of an age change will have problems with a legislative amendment attached to an appropriations bill.

Here is a link with information to contact these Senators: http://www.senate.gov/general/contac...nators_cfm.cfm

Template

For those that asked for a template, here it is. Feel free to disseminate widely and modify as necessary.

Senator ,

The 109th Congress adjourned prior to enacting into public law several Fiscal Year 2007 appropriations bills. Among those was HR 5576, the Appropriations Bill that included funding for the Department of Transportation. Contained within HR 5576 was a legislative amendment increasing airline pilot retirement age to sixty five.
While I realize that HR 5576 died with the end of the 109th Congress, I know that you will be very busy and that HR 5576 is likely to be used as a template for a new transportation appropriations bill that will become public law. For that reason, I request that you ensure that any appropriations bill passed by the 110th Congress be stripped of this legislative provision since it is inappropriate to use appropriations bills for legislative matters.
The item that I am referring to was contained in HR 5576.RS under Title I, Department of Transportation, Administrative Provisions—Office of the Secretary of Transportation, Section 114.
On 4 January 2007, Senator Inhofe sponsored S. 65, the Freedom to Fly Act, which increases airline pilot retirement age to 65, accomplishing the exact same thing as the amendment to HR 5576. This is a legislative issue, not an appropriations issue, and I request that you ensure that the issue receives proper consideration on the Senate floor rather than buried deep within an appropriations bill. Please ensure that this legislation is removed from the FY07 transportation appropriations bill.

As Adam Smith stated in "Wealth of Nations" everyone will pursue their own self interest. You can sure see it here.

Latest resources

Back