Fork in the road.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bagder,

I'm on the other side of the coin so to speak. Leaving a desk job for flying with some financial/management work on the side to pay the bills. I think General Lee and Cargoboy have very good points. There is a negative atmosphere in regards to career expectations that is prevalent throughout most every industry right now. When the economy stabilizes and hopefully grows at a controllable rate, then everyone's mood should pick up and the opportunities increase. 9-5 is ok if you have promotional opportunity however it can stagnate tremendously. Many managers spend seven years or more in the same position before their next promotion. Many people have risen as far as they will go by 40 years old. Not to paint a bleak picture of the private sector but it's not very easy. The political posturing higher level execs go through is a heart-clogger by itself, not to mention the job responsibilities.

My biggest concern about aviation is the particularly weak unions at the regional level and the lack of respect for pilots shown by upper level management in many facets of aviation. I wouldn't worry too much about opportunities over the long haul, they will increase eventually and passenger loads in the future will rise just as our economy turns around and our population increases.

If you love doing something, flying or otherwise, just go for it.

Mr. I.

Your bad experience with your boss is good training for what you'll likely experience in the airline business. I hear the same complaints about every single airline regarding management and its constant efforts to screw its employees. The grass is always greener, I guess, but there is definitely something to be said about being home all the time and not having debt hanging over your head.

Latest resources

Back