• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ford may sell jets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Europe heavily subsidizes diesel and gives citizens tax breaks for buying a diesel car. That is one of the many reasons diesels are more popular across the pond. With diesel here much more expensive than regular, along with the extra cost up front, there really is no incentive to buy one. You'd have to drive one around 200k miles just to break even.

It's not heavily subsidized in the EU. Diesel is cheaper to refine, it's the same here but our refineries are set up for around 15% diesel creating less supply.

Diesel is also considerably more efficient burning at a lower compression with more energy released per burn than gasoline.

Now to the most promising thing of all, bio diesel. Currently there is a lot of research in algae growth to use for diesel. No oil needed, the algae creates its own. Of course fuel can be made from many sources (vegetable oil is an example).

I fully agree with bushwick. I'm totally content paying 5 bucks a gallon for auto gas. Aviation fuel and any other commercial transportation fuel should be the only ones getting a price break. Having a car for personal use IS A LUXURY. Unfortunately most of the US has been built with the notion that everyone will have a car and driving is an everyday part of life. Suburbs, drive thru's, outlet malls, massive freeways to accomodate mass commuters. I refuse to waste time sitting in traffic everyday. I can't really think of a more unproductive use of time and resources. I'm fortunate enough to live in PDX. Great public transportation, super bike friendly (single speeds and fixies with no brakes seem to be all the rage, still haven't figured that one out), old school neighborhoods that have everything you need within walking distance. And when I do drive to work, I live 8 mins from the hangar. I know its not like PDX everywhere but hopefully people will continue to evalute their energy consumption while fuel prices are on the decline. American auto makers deserve whatever is coming their way right now in my opinion. Its sucks for the thousands of skilled laborers and I think the scrutiny of corporate jet usage by executives from congress is pathetic, but they have chosen for decades to make crappy vehicles with poor gas mileage. I agree european cars are the way to go. The vw tdi is great. Doesn't drive like the old diesels. Plenty of torque, no lag, and quiet. Has been available in the US for a decade.

Last edited:
The US exports the majority of their refined diesel to Europe; Europe exports the majority of their refined gasoline to the US.

Define "Crappy" Vehicle

2008 IQS Nameplate Rankings (Problems per 100 Vehicles)

Toyota-104
Mercury-109
Honda-110
Ford-112
Cadillac-113
Chevy-113
Pontiac-114
Lincoln-115
Buick-118
INDUSTRY AVERAGE-118

Best-Porsche-87
Worst-JEEP-167

Certainly, Mopar builds a Crappy vehicle. But for the most part, Ford and GM are better than industry average...and the trend for the past years is a positively improving one. This isn't because GM or Ford build a "crappy" vehicle...many people are still entrenched with that stigma created in the 70s and 80s...all to Honda and Toyota's benefit. Kind of like SWA being the "lowest" fare around. I would put this more on Ford and GM not really setting themselves apart from the industry and continually producing bland vehicles.

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pdf/2008063.pdf

Last edited:
Sorry, I should clarify. "Crappy" is a matter of opinion, mostly toward styling and handling. I'm biased. I did quality control for 3 years at an Audi, Volkswagen, Porsche dealership. American cars have never appealed to me. I've always liked Audi/VW's and I know they don't exactly have a good reputation. The only american car I would ever buy would be one of these www.sportsmobile.com. Diesel of course. Thanks for the info.

Everyone loves the free market screwing everyone until they get screwed then suddenly it is not so good.....

What does this have to do with the free market? The direct reason Ford would sell their aircraft is so that they to can suck at the governmnet teet. I don't see any free market there.

Now, if Ford was selling the jets solely to cut costs for the sake of cutting costs, then that would be a different thing.

Quote from boilerup:
GM is also starting to look more into diesel cars, with them putting a new 2.8L diesel into the European Cadillac CTS and considering the 4.5L Duramax diesel as an option for the domestic CTS.

See, that's one of the problems with the big 3:
why do they have to put a truck engine in a Caddi for the domestic market? If the 2.8 European engine creates an exciting machine, and I'm sure it will, then that's what they should stick with. No need for a bigger engine (that's designed for a different purpuse in the first place) with resulting loss of efficiency.

They don't subsidize diesel?

Diesel engines are about 30 percent more efficient than their gasoline counterparts, but emit more small particles responsible for smog. They benefit from environmental tax breaks in some countries, including subsidies for biodiesel -- a fuel made from oil crops such as the bright yellow rapeseed that dots much of northern Europe.

metrodriver said:
See, that's one of the problems with the big 3:
why do they have to put a truck engine in a Caddi for the domestic market? If the 2.8 European engine creates an exciting machine, and I'm sure it will, then that's what they should stick with. No need for a bigger engine (that's designed for a different purpuse in the first place) with resulting loss of efficiency.

The 4.5L produces power that is between the standard V6 and the high-displacement CTS-V, with zero modifications required to the car's design to install. Additionally, it produces that in-between power (somewhere around 400hp I think) with fuel economy in the 30mpg highway range. While admittedly poor for a diesel automobile, its KILLER mileage for any sedan that can run low 13s in the quarter mile.

Additionally, the 4.5L is available NOW domestically and the 2.8L is not.

Progress is progress...

Latest resources

Back