For you former 121 fella's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rajflyboy

If you worked at a carrier that had progressive training what type of checkrides were incorporated into this?

What type of manuevers approaches and possibly BS was thrown at a pilot on a sim check or LOE ?

Thanks

If you worked at a carrier that had progressive training what type of checkrides were incorporated into this?

What type of manuevers approaches and possibly BS was thrown at a pilot on a sim check or LOE ?

Thanks

Are you talking about AQP?

You're going to have to expand on the question. If you're talking about AQP, we had 2 sim sessions each recurrent. First one was a typical checkride, 4 approaches, one single engine, single engine missed, you know the routine. There were also "first look" items thrown in which you may or may not have seen before. We had a TCAS RA once, another item was wind shear recovery. Point is, they were all things you are familiar with.

That event is train to proficiency with (I think) 3 repeats per item should you need them.

Next was the LOE. The LOE is real time, pas / fail. It's a normal line flight flown EXACTLY as you would fly it online. Starts by looking over the release, getting your clearance, etc. There may or may not be tricks on the release. We had to run W&B, and there would always be something that needed to be changed.

The flight would have some sort of emergency / abnormality. The check airman is looking for adherence to SOP, systems knowledge, CRM and judgement. This is your evaluation ride, although failures are possible on the first sim.

I liked the way it was set up. To give an idea, I took the airplane from a captain once who was struggling through a maneuver (sim induced, he's a good pilot, just got a little checkride-itis). I stabilized the airplane for him and gave it back when he was ready to take it, then he finished the maneuver. That was perfectly acceptable and passing under the program as it demonstrated CRM. If I'd have let it progress further into us hitting something, we'd have both failed.

There was also a written test on aircraft systems and some dispatch questions as well.

AQP >> YES

I was just curious. The 121 ops I worked for had same checkrides like the typical 135

Thanks for the info!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back