For E-145 pilots...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
91 said:
I know that, and I would have been more comfortable with declaring the emergency. But like I said, it wasn't my call. If faced with the same situation in the future, I will relate the story and insist.

I wasn't getting on you and I understand your situation. It's just a hydrulic failure of this nature that causes the loss of 50% braking, spoiler, thrust reverser deployment and steering loss, should prompt an emergency call. Just my opinion.

Britpilot said:
Vortilons.

Thats where we hang the rockets from. We shoot them at the gate area to get the marshallers off their duffs and wave us in. We have to use them alot, so you rarely ever see any actual rockets hanging from them.

And yes, in hindsight, I agree and should have insisted.

91 said:
I don't like jerking the gear and filling out endless weight and balance forms for people with half the time I do, while they all talk about how excited they are to get all those MDA 170's that my friends and respected former coworkers are flying (I would have been too, but I took a gamble).

O this should get good.......

If your in DC in the next 6 days give me a call, I'm doin "time" in the crashpad, aka my Arlington "vacation home".

Last edited:
CaravanMan said:
Hey, I've got a question for you ERJ pilots... what are those 4 yellow "prongs" on the wings?

They get pushed up into the airstream ahead of the leading edge during high AoA maneuvers. They work the same way as vortex generators otherwise.

Later

CaravanMan said:
Hey, I've got a question for you ERJ pilots... what are those 4 yellow "prongs" on the wings?

They are also their to imprint a scar in the forehead of newbie FO's...man do they hurt.

Britpilot said:
I wasn't getting on you and I understand your situation. It's just a hydrulic failure of this nature that causes the loss of 50% braking, spoiler, thrust reverser deployment and steering loss, should prompt an emergency call. Just my opinion.

And to clarify, we did not get the complete failure (with the loss of the braking, etc) UNTIL we actually touched down and put a load on the system.

Yes Lear, this might get rolling, but it's not what the thread is supposed to be about. And no, I haven't seen DCA since last summer, nor am I scheduled to this month. I will see alot of IAD, but only for an hour at a time.

91 said:
And to clarify, we did not get the complete failure (with the loss of the braking, etc) UNTIL we actually touched down and put a load on the system.
Yep, same as my incident. The system sort of hides the fact that all this stuff is going to fail when you need it. The only clue to all this is the hydraulic level indicator on the MFD. We saw this and with the added opinion of MX we knew the assoociated systems would fail on touch down. We ran the QRH for System 1 Hydraulic Failure. Certainly got my atention on a Sunday morning.

Latest resources

Back