Following the GS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

minitour

Do you guys typically fly the glide slope all the way down to the runway? Flare?

It just occurred to me that I never really got a definite answer on that one. When we would practice them, I would fly the GS down to DH and then (unless my CFII told me to miss) I'd look up, see the runway, and put it down...

Just wondering what is common practice and if there are any reasons?

Thanks!

-mini

PS
Also, if you're on a visual do you guys typically set up the ILS and fly the LOC/GS down anyway?

There are a lot of personal preferences on that one, but one thing to keep in mind is that the glide slope is not accurate below DH. As for me the VASI, PAPI work well for vertical guidance below that point. But by that time you're low enough for your typical visual flare and landing. And it is always a good practice to keep the ILS or whatever navaid up for even a visual approach. Fly Safe.

Frank

Last edited:
Bama

"There are a lot of personal preferences on that one, but one thing to keep in mind is that the glide slope is not accurate below DH."

Lordy, where did you get that one from?

On visual approaches I'll still tune the ILS/LOC. Especially in low light or low visibility, or when landing at airports I'm not familiar with.

It's a great visual aid and backup to help prevent landing at the wrong airport or runway (or even taxiway if you're at KSEA).

Greg

Frank Bama said:
There are a lot of personal preferences on that one, but one thing to keep in mind is that the glide slope is not accurate below DH.

Frank
The G/S IS quite accurate to touchdown. That is what we use on those silly CAT III Auto-Lands.

Slightly off topic but....... On a CAT III how would you do a go around. If I remember right the min's are 0/0. But in the event you do go around, is it done by the autopilot or by hand?

minitour said:
Also, if you're on a visual do you guys typically set up the ILS and fly the LOC/GS down anyway?
Oh hell yeah...enough people have landed at wrong airports, on wrong runways, and on taxiways as a result of not doing this. If it doesn't have an ILS, but has a VOR approach, I'll use that. I'm just as likely to screw something up as the next guy.

Knock on wood.

My company's ops specs require us to stay at or above the G/S during a visual approach.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back