flying qualifications...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chawbein

So I'm sitting here putting a package together for a guard unit (which I am visiting next month thanks to many, many suggestions from this board) and for they require a breakdown of flight time and flying qualifications, awards, certificates and such. Since I am just a lowly low-time PPSEL, anyone have any suggestions on how to make this look OK? How can I stack up against some dude from Embry-Riddle or FSI? These dudes have hundreds of hours, and endorsements & ratings out the yang. I know the that they look at the "whole person" and I think I can compete in the realm of scores and such, and I'm not TOO much of a douche-bag.... Anybody have any experience with such a situation?

You could get your single engine seaplane rating at Hooks for only 10 more hours. Might help.

turtle

Last edited:
measuring up

Ratings might help. I sure have enough of them. I have my single and multi seaplane ratings. So now my license abbreviated is Commercial pilot-ASMELS. Add an S and a L and things might get a little too descriptive of real life.

To answer your question. How you "stack up against some dude from Embry-Riddle or FSI?"

First, your competition is not limited to dudes.

Secondly, you will be evaluated on your potential and not necessarily your ratings. You have more qualifications than you are aware of.

You will be amazed how a person with more qualifications can sometimes shoot themselves in the foot during the first few minutes of an interview.

When you walk into the interview, you have already met or exceeded the qualifications for the job. It is up to you to ensure that you do not disqualify yourself. Have someone practice with you on interviewing. The first five minutes of your interview are critical.

Of ten people who interview for jobs, seven could weed themselve from the approved list and of the three remaining perhaps only one or two will actualy survive the interview process.

Good Luck
idreamtofly

It is not all about your flight time, or if you have your seaplane rating. It is about what kind of individual you are. Think of the unit as a VERY EXCLUSIVE fraternity. Sure you may not have a lot of flight time, but they want to see that you are willing to learn, work hard and that you can contribute to the unit. Go and be yourself, trust me I know that is a lot easier said than done, but do your best.

Also, what unit are you going for? In Missouri?

As most people will tell you, flight time and ratings count for only a small portion of the application process. It never hurts to have more, but it's not required. My application process was very similar to yours. I mentioned anything from my first flight experience in gliders in the country side of Holland on my summers off from school to being a part of the inaugural flight team at my university. Anything that can make you shine through as a team player and a leader will help you out. Don't worry about the competition. Just make sure you give it 100%. The Riddle and FIT guys have nothing on you. You've got a degree and the ability to fly just like they do. Assuming airgator's and vandal's--regular contributors to these topics--profiles are correct, they don't exactly have loads of flight time either. However, they both got sponsored for slots, because they showed the interview panel they were the sort of people who could be nothing less than awesome on the job and were team players all the way. No worries, dude.

Skyward80

How about another question...

I was thinking about making a cover page (I'm going to get my package bound) with the squadron logo on the front and some sort of title. Is that gay? I just want it to get noticed and not put in the round file.

I can't really say either way whether that's a good idea or not. I just made a simple cover sheet for my packet. It read: Application Packet for Skyward80. Obviously, Skyward80 was my real name on the packet. My advice would be to go neat and professional. In my opinion, your cover letter and attached information should draw attention to you. I went to Office Max and got some of their high end folders, with the divider pages. It was simple and easy to read. I also made copies and put them in more simple binders so that I could hand them out at the interview. A small touch which did not go unnoticed. Anybody else have thoughts on this???

Skyward80

Chaw-
As long as you've got your PPL you're money. It doesn't matter if the guy you're up against is an RJ FO with ASA and has 1700 hrs. They're more concerened about you and your personality and whether they'd want to spend a week with you on a trip. Personally, I wouldn't do the whole squadron logo thing; a little gay....not that there's anything wrong with that. I used the military style folders that have 3 partitions and clips on the top; perfect for a pilot package. Type your name and ssn on a label and put it on the tab. I also made copies like Skyward and handed them out in the interview. I realized right away that the first 10 pilots I met hanging out in the ops room before my interview were all airline guys. When I walked into the interview and they said "tell us about you", I started right off by saying I wasn't there to play the reserves and get an airline job and then leave, its something I 've always wanted to do. The best way to market yourself to that unit, especially because they're heavies and probably all airline guys, is to come across as sincere and not in it for the airline job, don't BS them. Tell them up front, and they'll tell you they appreciate the honesty. Good luck.

Latest resources

Back