Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rchcfi

How slow can you go
I was just wondering if anyone from or recently departed from the Dallas area knows the names of some of the smaller outfits in or around town. Specifically I am looking for the following types of jobs: Traffic Watch, Pipeline Patrol, Skydiving, Banner Towing.

I am fairly new to the area and have looked into and around most of the 30 airports in the area but really haven't come up with anything. I was talking with a Lear captain from my company and he said he worked as a traffic watch pilot from somewhere south of Dallas. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the outfit. And I have done many searches via the internet for some of these smaller outfits yet can't seem to find anything soild.

Any help mucho appreciated!!!!!

You may want to look into ProJet or GTA Air once you meet the 135 PIC minimums. I am unsure about any pipeline or traffic watch outfits since my time was mostly spent in the HOU area. If my memory serves me correct I do think that their is a traffic watch company opposite of GTA at DAL.

Good luck 2 you-

3 5 0 :D

350Driver,

I had heard that GTA sometimes hired pilots who meet the 135 VFR mins. So I went in to talk to them with slicked back hair and resume in hand. I was met with a nice reception and was told that if and when they're looking for VFR pilots, they put them in the Bonanza and don't pay. I inquired a little more as to how many hours per day they fly to see if it would coincide with my current bread winning paycheck from the FBO. To my disdain, I was told that I would have to quit any other job I had to be looked at as a pilot. I don't really know what their reasoning for this is, but it is ludicrous. Basically you have to take out a loan to survive and then sign a 6 month or 1 year contract to fly for free...EEEEEKS!

O U C H :D :D - That is news to me however I use to jump on them from HOU and the pilots were not overly "pleased" with the current situation and work conditions back then. Keep in mind this was around 1.5 years ago. . I have a good friend at ProJet and he likes it alot.- Something you may want to consider.

I do remember that they were attempting to start a SIC program up but I think it was suppose to be a PFT type of deal..

Please fax resume to:
SD Air, LLC at 214-366-4801
or telephone Mike Short at 214-366-4800

G O O D L U C K

3 5 0

Please fax resume to:
SD Air, LLC at 214-366-4801
or telephone Mike Short at 214-366-4800

Please tell me you didn't get this from Pilot Shack.....They have had this thing posted since May. I called and was immediately turned down when I told them I only had 800 hours.....So much for the 500 minimum huh? Maybe they forgot to put in "SIC requirements 500 hours (MULTI)"......

rchcfi-
I saw a thread on this board pertaining to that job, I did not know how long it has been up nor did I know the specifics. I just thought I would paste it to my post just in case you had missed it the first time around which apparently was not the case.:D

It does appear that you are very hungry for that "first" job and I think your persistence will pay off for you.

I would target every 135 operator in your region since most operators will incorporate a SIC since the pax like the reassurance of "2" up front. How much multi time do you currently have.?

3 5 0

Try Zebra Air at DAL for the Traffic watch position. You might also try traffic.com, when I flew for Zebra there was another traffic pilot buzzing around every other day, and I belive he worked for traffic.com. As you found out GTA is a pretty tough place to work for, as is Projet. You might try some of the skydiving places in the area. Also I know there is a boner towing company based out of Clover field in Htown that send piltos up to Dallas, don't know the name though. Texas Air Charter in Denton is a descent place to work, they had a 6 hour DAL to ABQ to DAL run. Good luck, and stay away from GTA.

dude

3 5 0,

I am currently sitting at 137 multi......Not much but I definately can't afford to go out and rent a Seneca for $180/hr......

Cheers,
Rchcfi

I would say first try Tex Star, which is the new name for Texas Air Charter i believe. If it is a different company, then that gives you 2 companies to try out of Denton. I know Tex Star is pretty close to losing two of their pilots to the regionals. They are both ex regional guys who are tired of the cargo thing. I know one will probably go back to his regional when they call him, which shouldn't be too long according to him. Also the other has interviewed a few places and says he is going to jump on the first call he gets.

As for GTA, i knew a couple of guys who did the VFR 135 thing for them for free. It really beats paying for the time, but not being able to have another job to support yourself really sucks. I remember the old VFR guys complaining about having to sit reserve EVERY day just incase something came up. While they were sitting there they had to do paperwork. They also didn't like the fact that if you got stuck somewhere because of weather you were on your own, NO help whatsoever in lodging or meals. But like i said earlier, it sure beats paying for that time.

Another suggestion would be instructing... I know you probably don't want to or are tired of doing it now, but FLight Star in Addison is a freelance only FBO with the instructors charging $35 and up per hour. I made just as much instructing there as i am making now, and the money right now is really good. Their main draw for students was their aircraft lineup. Most people came in after they got their Private and moved onto better and bigger a/c. This was good, because at least then the students knew how to fly... albeit not so great sometimes, but at least they kind of knew what was going on.

Other than that i really don't know.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back