Flying from the right seat

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

fourierman

Well I've only flown from the right seat about 8 hours now -- landings are ok but still having some issues with steep turns in particular.

Whats the deal with steep turns (to the right) being so hard from the right seat? is it just me?

Also, does anyone have any general info regarding how to adjust altitude/airspeed/DG, etc. with the angle/view from the right? (ie will it appear higher/lower than actual ? )

I'm currently working on my commerical but plan on doing the CFI and commercial checkrides about the same time if I'm ready by that point

Thanks

That's just the change in sight picture. Parallax - the apparent change in perception of an object when viewed from a different angle (I think that's the right way to describe it). I was asked about that on my CFI ride.

And for me, steep turns to the left seem to be harder from the right seat...can't help you there. Maybe I'm the weird one....Sorry.

My steep turns are wierd like that too. My right one is a little harder to maintain altitude but I can nail the left one to the T.

Its all the same.

Adjustments for parallax depend on how deep the instrument is, away from the pointer.

The newer instruments don't have much depth in the face.

Adjusting for parallax and getting used to the different sight picture will get better over time.

You don't have to 'teach' for your CFI checkride; you just have to be able to fly from the right seat and talk while you fly; just make sure you can do that and you'll be fine.

Sam Snead said:
You don't have to 'teach' for your CFI checkride; you just have to be able to fly from the right seat and talk while you fly; just make sure you can do that and you'll be fine.
Thats not true, look at the PTS, you must teach and talk through everything from the right side, I know that is exactly what my examiner made me do.

I went flying yesterday to review myself for the CFII check ride and my turns to the left were nailed but the right I was losing about 100 ft. It just feels diferent I think. Different sensations that are unusual to the body in regards to a left turn.

siucavflight said:
Thats not true, look at the PTS, you must teach and talk through everything from the right side, I know that is exactly what my examiner made me do.

Uh.... do you think you are actually "teaching" the examiner anything?

Teaching implies learning, which is defined as a change in behavior.

Just prove you can talk and fly, and the teaching is inferred from that.

The examiner may ask you "student" questions but answering questions in itself is not teaching.

Why would you be telling me to look at the PTS? This board is about real world solutions to PTS problems, not the other way around. If all a person needed was the PTS, the discussions on training would all be moot.

Fooey on you.

RichardRambone said:
I went flying yesterday to review myself for the CFII check ride and my turns to the left were nailed but the right I was losing about 100 ft. It just feels diferent I think. Different sensations that are unusual to the body in regards to a left turn.

OK, time to weigh in with my grandiose theory.

From the left seat, the horizon appears to rise (ie nose down) in left turn and vice versa to the right. Due to the "space" between the cowling and the horizon. the "space" is a major pitch attitude mechanism

From the right seat, vice versa. The "pitch" attitude mechanism is reversed and is unusual to the beginning right seater.

I want you all to know that it took this grandiose instructor candidate about 10 hours to land straight enough for safety's sake, during CFI training. My first few attempts were cockeyed disasters.

Don't worry about the right side flying, all it takes is just a little practice, and look straight through you window instead of your nose cone and prop. If you are a right handed person, you will find flying on the right side is much easier than left side. Still remember when I was a CFI, the only difficulty I had was to learn to read instruments from any angle.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back