FlightWorks Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

johnsonrod

I have read several of the previous posts about Flightworks out of RYY (Marrieta, GA) and HEF and many tend to be on the negative side... I know that no operation is perfect. I am currently an ERJ Captain looking for a big change and I am considering both 135 and fractional.

So, I have a few questions about Flightworks for those willing to take some time (and I apolegize if I am asking questions that have already been answered):

1. Assuming enough flight time and good experience, are newhires hired into the lighter jets typically or are they hired into jets with the latest openings?

2. Do Flightworks pilots fly mulitple aircraft types (ie Hawker 800XP and GIISP) or just focus on one type?

3. Does Flightworks hire for specific bases due to openings on aircraft in either RYY or HEF? Does base preference count for anything?

4. Having read in a previous post that QOL can depend upon fleet type, what would be the preferred and least preferred fleets for a newhire (assuming not awarded the most coveted aircraft type)? How's the QOL on the GIISP/GIII and CL300?

5. What are the best and worst aspects of working for FlightWorks? Do people tend to stay for the long-term or do they use it as a stepping stone for the airlines/fractionals?

Thanks for any insight. I hear these guys all the time on the radio and I have been curious about the operation for awhile. You can also PM me if you prefer - I appreciate any comments.

Here are my answers, which in most case is my opinion:

1) Generally, unless you have time in type, you are hired into a light jet.

2) No, though if you have just transitioned to a new type, you might fly two types for a short period of time until currency runs out, or your old position is filled.

3) You will be based where the aircraft you are assigned to is based. There have been some GII/III pilots that commute to HEF from RYY, though this is slowing down. I believe some Citation II pilots still are sent to HEF periodically from RYY to fill in.

4) As for coveted types, I would say the G450, GIV and CL604 are the coveted jobs as they are staffed 3 to 4 pilots per airplane and pay well. QOL generally depends on staffing for the fleet you fly. If you only have 2 pilots for an airplane or fly in a fleet that is short of staff, then days off become more scarce. When a plane is staffed 3 per, you tend to get 10 to 14 days off a month depending how the airplane is flying and the maintenance cycle and who is going to training, etc.

5) The best aspect is the company is growing and so there is loads of opportunity for advancement. They also are a 1st class 135 operator, and work hard to do the right thing, take care of their people and retain good people. The worst aspect is the coming and going of airplanes on a regular basis which plays havoc on staffing and time off. They do their best to minimize this in my opinion, but it happens anyway.

I believe that some people use this as a stepping stone to Part 91 gigs, though others will make a career here. If you are looking fractional and want to go that route, FlightWorks would be a waste of time. I think the same may be true for airlines, though we have quite a few furloughed and retired major pilots here, so the recos they could give might be able to help there one day.

On a final note, the company has been through some major changes in the last two years, and there are a large number of people that left during the 2003 to 2005 time frame that were very bitter. Some for good reason and others maybe not. I would guage based on the opinions of those that have worked here since 2004, since things have changed dramatically in that time frame.

just a follow up to johnsonrod's questions, do you have any idea of the latest numbers as far as salary goes? sorry, don't have access to any nbaa stuff around here.

Do Flightworks pilots tend to be rated in multiple aircraft types or do they focus on one type (GII/III viewed as one)? Are pilots who are hired into specific aircraft selected based upon previous experience or time on type (i.e., a GII/GIII newhire FO has previous experience in Gulfstreams) or based on need at the time?

I got a good look at a Flightworks GIII at VNY - nice looking bird.

I would like to disagree with flyflyfly's answer for question #4. For those of us in the Citation/Hawker fleet...even with 3 people per a/c we are lucky to see more than about 7 days off a month. You would think that three people in a 30 day month would allow 10 days per person, and that is assuming the a/c flies everyday...but it never ends up that way. Very unfortunate for those of us doing it. This is the biggest reason Flightworks will never become a long term employer for most.

I will agree with what Scratch says. Once you throw in training days and vacations, that robs from the available days. Particularly if the aircraft fly every day, or one of your pilots has other duties for which they receive office days.

The net result is:

You get 5 scheduled days off a month. On occasion, you get more days, but you have no idea of when they are going to be. Hope this clarifies.

My recommendation is that should you interview, ask to talk to line pilots that fly the airplane you will be flying to get a better idea of the situation.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back