flight time value

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

justthewife

I have a question for those of you who are in-the-know. Which situation would more likely help me to land a regional job with a good carrier like Skywest or Air Wisconsin. I have a choice between part 135 PIC single-pilot IFR Navajo scheduled flying between small, remote airports - OR - SIC 1900, also 135, freight ops, high-density airports.

Thanks in advance for any input!!

At SkyWest, PIC is better than SIC, crew served is better than single pilot, weather is better than VFR, Part 121/135 is better than Pt 91, and turbine is better than piston.

It looks like you have a couple of choices with very comparable value. (3 of one and a quarter dozen of the other)

Last edited:
justthewife said:
I have a question for those of you who are in-the-know. Which situation would more likely help me to land a regional job with a good carrier like Skywest or Air Wisconsin. I have a choice between part 135 PIC single-pilot IFR Navajo scheduled flying between small, remote airports - OR - SIC 1900, also 135, freight ops, high-density airports.

Thanks in advance for any input!!

Most companys would like to see Multi engine PIC time, So I would take the 135 PIC Navajo job and start building time, then start sending resumes out to everyone you would like to work for.

Good luck

Although both are comparable, I'd suggest the 1900 job. PIC is great but I think most Rj airlines would rather see some turbine time, especially 135 in an aircraft that is also used as a 121 airliner. I don't think the big v/s small airport stuff matters much. Both sound like good opportunities but I'd have to go with the 1900 gig if given the choice. Good luck!

Quality flight time

Multi PIC, always. Accordingly, I'd take the Navajo job.

I dunno Air Wisc's requirements, but I'd bet that SkyWest still wants only 100 hours of multi with 1000 total. After taking the Navajo job, I'd consider sending SkyWest materials shortly thereafter to at least get your foot in the door.

Good luck with your decision.

With 2000 total, you are not going top need to build much time to be competitive. What is the breakdown of your 2000 hours ie multi- engine pic, single engine pic. Remember that when it comes to PIC, most airlines do not count as PIC the time spent with an instructor working on ratings and certificates. They like to see only that time that you are solely responsible for the aircraft. Also dont count any simulator time towards your total time. Log it, and keep that column totaled but dont add it in to your total time. Oh yea, take the navajo job. Every airline from great lakes to southwest would rather see that kind of time. After you have 1000 hours in the navajo then you might consider a sic turbine job.........

I have never heard of a regional airline that cared about pic time. Now turbine time and 121/135 time, they do care about. I would go for the 1900 job. You always want to take the job that is the closest to the career job you want to land. Flying in turbine equipment as a crew is better if you want to work for an airline. If you want to fly single pilot in a Caravan, take the Navajo job. Good luck to you.

Take the 1900 job. The only PIC time that the airlines really care about is PIC turbine time. You may as well satisfy some of their cravings by at least getting the turbine. Flying a Navaho is not going to be much different to them than if you were flying a Seneca. Flight Safety says that the most problems they have with new hires is getting them accustomed to the crew environment. The more experience you can get with crew, the better you will be.

Latest resources

Back