Flight Time by Flight Conditions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JDREsquire1224

I am currently employed by a 121 operator, but have not been tracking instrument time nor do I distinguish day time from night time. How critical is this in the application process if I apply elsewhere? Thanks for any info. I've seen on airlineapps.com that they want a complete breakdown of flight time by flight conditions, and find this rather difficult.

IMHO, I don't think it's important at all. Day v. night is easy enough to re-create from flight time records. As far as IMC goes...two tenths per leg for me. One tenth on the way up, and one tenth on the way down.

IMHO, I don't think it's important at all. Day v. night is easy enough to re-create from flight time records. As far as IMC goes...two tenths per leg for me. One tenth on the way up, and one tenth on the way down.
Why is it so hard to understand? Until you are about 2 years from retirement, there's always the possibility you'll have to go to another carrier if yours fails. They will want to see an accurate logbook. Period. It doesn't take that much time to fill in a quick line of info each day, and if you do end up in the unemployment line, you'll be thankful for the effort. If it's been years since he filled out a logbook, where is he going to get the flight time records to accurately show day/night, let alone IMC time?

And as for IMC, .1 each leg??? Please. Most of us don't come anywhere near that while flying 121. That's why it pays to write down what you did each day - you still remember if you were IMC and if you shot any approaches. Remember - one tenth is 6 minutes. Were you actually in the clouds for six minutes both up and down? or was it more like 30 seconds up and 30 seconds down? Then you're more entitled to .1 total. There are days where I've flown nearly 8 hours and several legs without a second of IMC. Other days it's several hours and several approaches. Be fair to yourself and log what actually happened.

Under FAR 61.51 it says that if you are logging flight time there are certain things you must record, including the conditions - instrument, day/night etc. If you have the logbook, put those things in.

HAL

If you have 500 hrs, record all that time. When you have 10000+, who cares? Is someone from an airline hiring department going to look at a guy who has been flying 121 for years say they do not have enough actual instrument time? If you remember and write it down, great. If not, no big deal. Make a guess or just put nothing.

And as for IMC, .1 each leg??? Please. Most of us don't come anywhere near that while flying 121. That's why it pays to write down what you did each day - you still remember if you were IMC and if you shot any approaches.

HAL... do you log IMC time when you're flying at night over the ocean? I don't know about you, but unless there is a helluva scorcher of a full moon, it looks like IMC to me.

BTW... are you HNL-based or did you get back to being SEA-based? In any case... good to see you back at HAL!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back