Flap retraction

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi!

The "standard" profile for biz jets/-135 is to rotate to a certain pitch and/or airspeed target, hold it to at least 400' agl, and then lower the nose, pick up speed, and start cleaning up.

If you got -121, virtually EVERY airline will have you fly the pitch/airspeed target (and typically at a HIGH pitch attitude, to get you away from the ground faster, and present a lower noise signature to those below) all the way to 1000' agl and then begin the cleanup. In the plane I'm flying we also do NO turns until after the flaps are all the way up, which is after 1000'.

cliff
GRB

PS-We changed the profile on the Falcon, which was based on -135/bizjet ops, to 1000' to match the DC-9 profile.

If you got -121, virtually EVERY airline will have you fly the pitch/airspeed target (and typically at a HIGH pitch attitude, to get you away from the ground faster, and present a lower noise signature to those below) all the way to 1000' agl and then begin the cleanup. In the plane I'm flying we also do NO turns until after the flaps are all the way up, which is after 1000'.

cliff
GRB

PS-We changed the profile on the Falcon, which was based on -135/bizjet ops, to 1000' to match the DC-9 profile.

The 1000 ft is aircraft/operator specific, not 121 specific I believe that per FAR certification standards, it can not be less than 400'.

Where I flew the 328 (don't know what SkyWay or Ozark used) we used 1000' unless otherwise specified, in the ERJ at my current place (don't know what anybody else uses) it's 500' unless otherwise specified. While jump seating on various airlines, I have heard them brief 400'.

Turns after TO are are usually operator specific depending on what the Flt Ops engineering people come up with so as to comply with the various TERPS trapezoids in the departure path, known obstacle's, operating in IMC vs VMC, whether or not there is a special departure procedure, the SID/DP specifies, whatever.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back