First Steps...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RafaelThielmann

Since i inted to move to USA in 1 and 1/2 year, to work as a Aircraft Mechanic (the same job i have here in Brazil). I would like to know a few things about the job there, from the people who do it....
I need the 1 1/2 year time to have the experience to attend the airframe FAA exam for the airframe license, and to improve my english to a "better-than-tarzan" level.
I'm planning to move to the San Diego area (got parents there), so if someone from San Diego could answer me it would be great:
1-How much could i expect to be paid for a full time job as a mechanic?
2-I've seen you talk about the A/P license, is it Airframe AND Powerplant, or Airframe OR Powerplant?
3-Is the FAA airframe license enought to get a job, or i would need at least airframe AND powerplant to do it?
4-If two licenses are required, is there anywere i could get a part time job on airframe to make my way thru powerplant classes?

Thanks for the time, hope be posting from USA soon,

Rafael Thielmann - Brazilian Aircraft Mechanic

PLEASE BRING THE CHICA's with you!

RafaelThielmann said:
Since i inted to move to USA in 1 and 1/2 year, to work as a Aircraft Mechanic (the same job i have here in Brazil). I would like to know a few things about the job there, from the people who do it....
I need the 1 1/2 year time to have the experience to attend the airframe FAA exam for the airframe license, and to improve my english to a "better-than-tarzan" level.
I'm planning to move to the San Diego area (got parents there), so if someone from San Diego could answer me it would be great:
2-I've seen you talk about the A/P license, is it Airframe AND Powerplant, or Airframe OR Powerplant?
3-Is the FAA airframe license enought to get a job, or i would need at least airframe AND powerplant to do it?
4-If two licenses are required, is there anywere i could get a part time job on airframe to make my way thru powerplant classes?

Oi!!!!

Got a babe living near GRU! Why would you want to leave BRAZIL???? I want to retire in GRU or GIG in 30 years!

If you come to the USA, PLEASE BRING AS MANY BRAZILIAN CHICA's as you can!!!!!

TCHAU--

Let's just say that R$:4,43 ~ US$:2,00 a hour is not money enought to keep me here... Also think about retire in Brazil (after i'm 70..), but with US Dollars income.

RafaelThielmann said:
Let's just say that R$:4,43 ~ US$:2,00 a hour is not money enought to keep me here... Also think about retire in Brazil (after i'm 70..), but with US Dollars income.

I undestand.

Don't forget to "import" the women when you come! ha ha ha ha!

RafaelThielmann said:

1: $14/hr for a brand new mechaninc just out of school with no experiance. Up to $25/hr at some airlines. It's a living wage, but not great.

2: A&P are actually two seperate liscenses one for Airframe, one for Powerplant. However you really need both to be usefull to most employers.

3: Airframe liscense alone is enough to get you a job at a large faclilty as a structure mechanic doing just airframe work.

4: You can easily do that. Full time as an structure mech and night/morning classes to get your powerplant.

How much experiance do you have in Brazil? I'm not sure, but it may be enough to qualify for both A & P when you get here. If you can show 30 months full time employment doing both, then you can skip the school. I'd do some research at the FAA website to see what they consider acpetable documentation.

Last edited:
I've done that shearch with the FAA folks. I've worked for a few years with experimental aircrafts, but the shop were i used to work is not FAA certificated, so the time there is not valid. That's why three months ago i changed to VEM, a certified maintenance station. Recently we've done check D for Arrow Air/Cargo DC-10...
So i'm gonna do that, take the few monts left to apply for my FAA license, than work to pay for the powerplant course.
Even knowing that it will take more than a year to make the big change, it's very good to know that i'll be able to make life out of mechanics maintenance.

Well, thanks USMC,
See you guys soon,

Rafael Thielmann.

Latest resources

Back