Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JOPILOT

JP
Well it is looking like it may be possible to carry a firearm in the cockpit soon? I am curious of what you guys and gals think of the need for a deadly weapon in the hands of a regional carrier airman. My opinion is unfounded since I still have not stepped foot inside the EMB-120 I am soon to be trained to fly, but if I chose to carry a firearm I would first have to overcome my present uncertain feelings if I could shoot someone and live with it, never had to squak 7500 in a seminole or cessna but God forbid if someone wanted to point me and my precious cargo into a facility I think I could get over it the fear of using a gun at the risk of blowing a hole in the side of the cabin...Would firearms on those flights a year ago yesterday have made a difference? I think so, but will these firearms cause more harm than good????? Just curious what you think, been on my mind a lot lately, Thanks for any opinions, JP

Last edited:
"Well it is looking like it is now possible carry a firearm in the cockpit?"

Uh nope, it isn't. First of all, once both bills pass the senate and house, they need to hammer out the differences between the two. Then the president has to sign it into law. Once that happens, in order to actually carry a weapon on the flight deck you will likely have to apply, pass a background check, and complete some rigorous training. There will probably be regular recurrent training as well. Don't worry about some yahoo with a 6-shooter pointing it at you while cleaning it up at FL250. It's not going to be like that. Try checking out some of the official information on this. Don't rely directly on the news media for information about this. Educate yourself!

p.s. here are some website references:
http://www.alpa.org/internet/news/2002news/nr02082.html

Last edited:
thanks bluto

In my recent self-education I learned that yes, pilots in "near term" will be trained and armed to defend the cockpit, this will be done in an expeditious manner, which tells me that by the time you double your abundant amount of hours there will be pilots in the sky with firearms. You mentioned " a yahoo pointing a six shooter at me, it won' t be like that" maybe you could tell me exactly what it will be like???? Just trying to "educate myself"
Sincerely, JP

No offense intended

Jopilot,
I meant no offense by my earlier statement. I can see how it sounded a little preachy. My apologies. Noone can tell you exactly what it will be like until it happens. However, since armed pilots will be federally trained officers, it will be a closely regulated situation. Here's another reference if you are interested.

http://www.secure-skies.org/FAQ.asp

I really don't see how my level of experience has anything to do with this subject. But thank you for your mature, adult, response.

Alright you two. Behind the boys bathroom...3 O'clock SHARP!!!

Latest resources

Back