Fire Aboard Challenger at TEB???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

NJAowner

August 2, 2004 -- The crew of a small plane extinguished a fire aboard the aircraft and landed it safely at the Teterboro, N.J., airport yesterday, officials said.

The Challenger aircraft, which seats about eight people, had reported a fire as it approached the airport. It was not yet clear how the flight started, how many were aboard or where the fire was. Nobody was injured. AP

I havn't heard about this till now. I will give big kuddos to the crew. You don't play around with smoke or fire in the ac.

na265 said:
I havn't heard about this till now. I will give big kuddos to the crew. You don't play around with smoke or fire in the ac.

Amen to that. Watched a Hawker 800, NJA from my vantage point, land down wind, RWY 19 at TEB today. Crew did a great job of stopping quick and evacuating the aircraft!

My hats off folks!

2000Flyer

2000flyer said:
Amen to that. Watched a Hawker 800, NJA from my vantage point, land down wind, RWY 19 at TEB today. Crew did a great job of stopping quick and evacuating the aircraft!
Why did they land downwind? There's apparently something to the story you're not sharing based on the evacuation part.

FracCapt said:
Why did they land downwind? There's apparently something to the story you're not sharing based on the evacuation part.

My guess, and only a guess.... Suspected smoke/fire onboard the aircraft. Aircraft north of TEB. Straight in to the downwind runway = quickest point to the ground rather than a pattern around the airport to land into the wind. All sounds like great decisions on the part of the crew!

Anyone hear that it may have been a FRAC operator? Some rumors floating around that it twas....anyone?

Gumby said:
Anyone hear that it may have been a FRAC operator? Some rumors floating around that it twas....anyone?

I couldn't tell for sure from my vantage point, but it sure looked like a QS paint / tail. They were on the ground and evacuated before I heard any numbers on the freq.

Regards,

2000Flyer

more info

Does anyone have any more info on the Challenger? N#, 600, 601,604?

How much damage,etc.?

A QS Challenger?

This thread may be about 2 different incidents. The AP newswire and several NYC newspapers all referred to a Challenger. I know of no NJA Challengers with a QS tail number (or with any other tail number).

Fly safe.

NJA Owner

Since you are indeed an owner please tell us the specific reason that NJA does not have any Challengers.(there is a very specific reason why NJA doesn't have them)
Should be easy for you to find out as an owner.
Just ask Rich Santulli and let me know what he says.

Fly Safe
Chuck

Latest resources

Back