Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

91100 100 set

to the book
I got to thinking today about something. Say a pilot is an FFDO. Say this person is out on the job hunt for a new flying job. Of which I am neither, just curious. Would such status be appropriate to list on a resume, right along with ATP, 1st class medical, FEW, type ratings, etc.

I know some people will jump me for asking for what they might view as "sensitive information". I hope others agree with me and think it's a reasonable question with no security impact.

I think it would be stupid to put it on your resume.

1) it is SSI

2) What if the people interviewing you are not OK with the program. You could be discriminated against... Doh.

3) What if you're interviewed by Mr. Taliban and he tells all his friends if they see you that you are probably carrying....

Most important of which to getting that new job would probably be #2.

-CaKe

You cannot be an FFDO unless you are employed. If you quit or are fired you are no longer an FFDO. At my company someone got fired and the FBI met him at the plane to retrieve his weapon--he had left it at home. They then proceded to send an FBI agent to his house to retrieve the weapon before he was allowed to get on the plane.

FBI pwns FFDO Guns?

jetjck2 said:
You cannot be an FFDO unless you are employed. If you quit or are fired you are no longer an FFDO. At my company someone got fired and the FBI met him at the plane to retrieve his weapon--he had left it at home. They then proceded to send an FBI agent to his house to retrieve the weapon before he was allowed to get on the plane.

I didn't think the FBI owned the FFDO's guns. I know the Gov't issues ammo, but you have to PAY for the gun!

I know H&K offers a discount program for airline pilots, BUT you still shell out over $500 for the gun!

-CaKe

91 said:
Would such status be appropriate to list on a resume...
No.
The goal of your resume is to get you called for an interview. I am not aware of any carrier that desires FFDOs. Most companies argued/lobbied against creating the position. Focus your resume on your pilot qualifications. If you prefer to be hired for other duties, apply for an air marshal position. By the way, I am very pro-FFDO... I hate to see you "shoot yourself in the foot" on your resume. ;)

Yeah, I was kinda thinking along the same lines. That kind of thing should have no bearing on whether or not you get the job. In fact, it doesn't even have to come up. You show up at IOE. The IOE checkairman gives you his little briefing, and you give him yours.

BTW, the thing about the FBI confiscating the weapon sounds like BS to me. I can see somebody taking your credentials at the conclusion of your employment at a 121 carrier (I doubt they are that on the ball that it happens so "at the aircraft"), but not the weapon.

BeeFCaKe said:
I didn't think the FBI owned the FFDO's guns. I know the Gov't issues ammo, but you have to PAY for the gun!

I know H&K offers a discount program for airline pilots, BUT you still shell out over $500 for the gun!

-CaKe

Uhhh, got some facts wrong there guys. The DUTY weapon for FFDO's is government issued and belongs to the government along with the creds, holster, lockbox....etc.

Any commercial 121 pilot can buy a H&K .40 cal with the discount but that is your own personal weapon and your choice to make. You don't need to buy a thing in order to be an FFDO. (except practice ammo)

SuperFLUF said:
Uhhh, got some facts wrong there guys. The DUTY weapon for FFDO's is government issued and belongs to the government along with the creds, holster, lockbox....etc.

Any commercial 121 pilot can buy a H&K .40 cal with the discount but that is your own personal weapon and your choice to make. You don't need to buy a thing in order to be an FFDO. (except practice ammo)

All good info. Also, if you make frineds with the rangemaster for your local law enforcement pratice range, you can even get FREE BULLETS!

You are NOT allowed to use FFDO on anything.

BeeFCaKe said:

-CaKe

Nope you don't have to pay for the Gun

Mooser

91 said:
BTW, the thing about the FBI confiscating the weapon sounds like BS to me. I can see somebody taking your credentials at the conclusion of your employment at a 121 carrier (I doubt they are that on the ball that it happens so "at the aircraft"), but not the weapon.

Why does it sound like BS? If an FBI agent was fired or quit they surely wouldn't let him walk around with the gov't issued (and owned) weapon. Why would FFDO be any different?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back