FedEx repercussions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mr Zog

This is 6 hull losses within 7 years for FedEx. NOT A VERY STELLAR SAFETY RECORD. In fact arguably the worst in the industry. All FedEx employees (Management, Pilots, Maintenance,and so on) are going to need to evaluate current operations. We will now be in the FAA "crosshairs". Does FedEx take too many risks? Flying in non-tower operations in marginal visibility condition (ie at dawn). Flying large aircraft into Subic Bay? Flying an MD-11 (aircrat with the fastest approach and landing speed) into a field with no precision approach, 9000 feet of runway, excessive terrain, terrible ATC, and horrific weather at times. I know this accident has nothing to do with any of this, but previous incidents these factors definitely came into play. As a FedEx pilot we need to continue operating with the utmost degree of professionalism. If I was a betting man, I would expect more FAA examiners aboard FedEx planes over the next months.

As an EX 121 suplemental pilot I can tell you right now the problem is FAA.
FAA created this ridiculous 121 suplemental to allow FEDEX and UPS be very profitable and just forgot that pilots are human beings. ICAO rules don't allowed any pilot to fly to consecutives nights by the other hand FAR121 suplemental not only allow it as also allow the rest to be breaked in to turns of 4 hours and 7 days on to get only 24 hours off not even a day. Yes 24 hours technically can mean a day but it's not for you body. The human body recognizes a day as a period where you rested one whole night and worked during daylight.
As a pilot with 3850 hours in MD11 flying in Brazil and landing in runways of sometimes 8000ft with only NDB approaches and not grooved I can tell you right now MD11 handles that pretty well besides the very high approach speeds she also has very nice 50 degrees flaps plus good breaking very stable on any cross wind almost don't crab and if you don't use engine 2 reverse on wet short runways you'll be fine. If you use engine 2 reverse your nose gear will take a long time to come to ground and can compromise your stop distance. And I mention ICAO because besides the name in Europe is JAA and Canada is CAA they are basically ICAO with some minor diferences and FAA/FAR are far away from ICAO and I can even say safety. But they don't wanna hear anybody.

GOD bless all

Love my job at FedEx...

I don't know if this latest incident was pilot error, maintenance problem or a cargo problem. Luckily everyone made it out alive but it sure is a sobering wake up call. We have been fortunate not to have loss any lives the last couple of times. Kudos to the flight crews!

I feel very fortunate to have been hired by FedEx and I'm very happy working there. I have several friends hired years before me with other majors that are on the street or at the very bottom of the senority list. I also feel confident that when I retire in 20+ yrs that FedEx will still be a strong company with a solid pension but who knows?.?. The way things are going lately I half to be a little concerned.

I know this will sound funny but I actually like (prefer) flying at night than during the day, at least the way the FedEx schedules are set up. If you fly days you are up early, I mean REALLY early and I'm not a morning person. I can't go to sleep at 10 pm and I hate having to set the alarm. I'd rather fly all night, be extrememly tired and sleep as long as I possibly can.

Bottom line, we (FedEx) fly some really strange hours, to some really strange places under all kinds of circumstances. The senior pilots get the gravy schedules that are cake and all the junior (low time in seat) get the short end of the stick (long ass duty).

The company builds the schedule around what is legal by the reg's and not by what effects the trips have on our body. It's one thing to have a 3 day trip with strange hours but it takes a toll on your brain by day 5.

The FAA will be investigating this one very closely and the insurance company is going to have some serious premium hikes. I think our training department is solid and I don't know what more can be done there. Lately we have been doing A LOT more with less bodies and I think it is time to get some new hires on property. There has been too much Draft and too much Volenteer going on.

Sorry for rambling and talking all over the yard, I feel better now

:rolleyes:

I whole heartedly agree with the draft and VLT. I think pilots see the money signs and don't take heed to what their body/mind is telling them. At FedEx you will never come up against the 100 hr mark (unless on the MD-11 and totally whoring yourself) because of the relatively short legs. But hub-turning eight or nine nights in a row to earn extra money is ludicrus. I am not saying that is the norm at FedEx, but I think it is being done. Something will have to be done to protect ourselves from ourselves in that regard. Before everyone jumps me, I think DRF and VLT is a viable option at FedEx. It is nice having the option to earn a little bit more on occasion. I have flown on DRF and VLT. The problem is it should be in moderation. A funny anecdote regarding on of my sisters. When she was young, five or six, she loved oreo cookies. One day she ate an entire bag in one sitting. Had to go to the hospital and was sick for 2 days.

I know we currently are having LOSA observers on flights. I don't know if any results have been made. I hope when completed Safety will send report via website.

Ligeirinho said:
As an EX 121 suplemental pilot I can tell you right now the problem is FAA.
FAA created this ridiculous 121 suplemental to allow FEDEX and UPS be very profitable and just forgot that pilots are human beings.

I'm not sure about FedEx, but UPS is a domestic and flag carrier, just like a "real" airline.

I know there are bigger issues at hand, but how does a well rested crew keep the cargo from catching fire. Undeclared haz-mat is more of an issue to me. People can put just about anything they want in a box and ship it anywhere they want.

Bandit110 is right, you never REALLY know what is in the back. I often go back to inspect the Haz can (explosives, corrosives, flam liquid, flam solid, radio active, infectious substance, dangerous when wet, dry ice, etc, etc) and just shake my head. At least that stuff is declared.

Like I said, I am real curious to the findings of this investigation whether it was a cargo fire or the gear collasped and then the fire started, crew rest, or what?? On the surface it doesn't look like it was a crew issue, first flight of the day from OAK-MEM.

Lets not start speculating though until we have more information and facts.

Happy Holidays

Mr. Zog,

The best thing that could happen to our system in the US is to convert over to the JAA and CAA rules. It beats the living heck out of our system over here, but unfortunately the FAA is reactive instead of proactive and they are very primitive.

Mr Zog said:
At FedEx you will never come up against the 100 hr mark (unless on the MD-11 and totally whoring yourself) because of the relatively short legs. But hub-turning eight or nine nights in a row to earn extra money is ludicrus.

I don't think its your place or my place to tell someone whether they are fit to fly opentime or not. Booze and drugs set aside...... thats why we're professionals right? hhhmmmm most pilots anyways. Eveyones situtaion might be different. I timed out a couple of days ago and have to wait till I drop some time and It'll happen again, but my situation is different then yours.

"Something will have to be done to protect ourselves from ourselves in that regard."

Man this statement is right on the money, but futile......... we'll alway be our own worst enemy.

You also said something about the company building lines without thinking about the human body. HHMMMM anybody else see management material here. Seriously though...... Its not managements fault for building lines that suck the life out of their employees. Perfect example would be jetBlue. Great company, great management, but yet their schedules are done in the most effecient way possible. Unfortunately the most effecient schedules abuse the human body, hence the reason why they want an exemption so they could fly over 8 hours in a 24 hour period. Converting over to the JAA and CAA rules would take care of this, along with many other down falls in the FAR's If they get the exemption, Im willing to bet that management would take the schedules to the extreme, just like they are doing now. Then again I have been wrong once before in my lifetime and thats why Im married. LOL.......

Why don't we all just wait and see what the cause of this accident was and then we can start being ...... ahem.... the experts that we all are.

ps. Man Im glad those guys saved all their bags during that emergency egress. LOL...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back