• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LAZYB

Time wounds all heels.
THE MEMPHIS COMMERCIAL APPEAL, Wednesday, May 26, 2004

FedEx jet skidded on pilot Œcheck¹;

NTSB inquiry reveals earlier problems of first officer

By Bartholomew Sullivan

WASHINGTON --- Two minutes before a pre-Christmas FedEx flight from Oakland to Memphis made a hard landing that bucked its right landing gear, the captain joked to the first officer he was evaluating to ³keep it out of the grass.²

³I¹ll do my very best,² First Officer Robyn S. Sclair (family owns General Aviation News) responded, chuckling, according to a cockpit voice recorder.

But it was not to be. At 12:26 p.m. on December 18, the 358,000-pound MD-10, battling headwinds after a brief wind shear alert, hit the runway on its left landing gear first, traveled 58 feet, then landed hard on the right landing gear.

After rolling about 2,800 feet, the right landing gear collapsed, the plane skidded off the runway and into the grass, and caught fire. Of the two crew and five passengers, two received minor injuries, including Sclair, who had rope burns from a cockpit escape.

While the accident remains under investigation, and no conclusions or recommendations have been issued, the National Transportation Safety Board released factual findings on the accident on Tuesday. They indicate that at the time of the accident, Sclair was undergoing a company-mandated multi-leg
³line check,² or supervised evaluation, after deviating from an assigned altitude over England a month earlier.

The report reveals that Sclair, with FedEx since 1996, had received two previous unsatisfactory proficiency ratings on MD-11s in 1999 and 2001, but had received additional training and received satisfactory ratings both times.

Interviews the NTSB did with an unidentified FedEx pilot indicated that she had been late to work three out of 10 times in August and had received an advisory letter from company officials on December 8 warning against tardiness. In 1994, an unidentified previous employer indicated unsatisfactory proficiency ratings that year were the result of Sclair¹s ³generally poor airmanship²

Efforts to reach both Sclair and Capt. Richard W. Redditt through the Air Line Pilots Association were unsuccessful Tuesday. Both are on paid leave and are not flying pending the outcome of the investigation and an internal company probe, said FedEx spokesman Kristin S. Krause.

No damage cost estimates are available, Krause said.

The cockpit voice recorder also indicates that Redditt told an unidentified jumpseat passenger before the flight that Sclair had been coughing ³like crazy² on previous legs of the Memphis-Indianapolis-Oakland flight and that he thought she might have pneumonia.

In response to a garbled comment from the jumpseater, Redditt adds: ³I think she would have if it hadn¹t been so much scrutiny on this line check.² The recording picks up constant coughing and throat-clearing from Sclair as the plane descends over Arkansas into Memphis.

³Whatever happens today, I want to see a stable approach at 1,000 feet,² Redditt tells Sclair as she begins the descent. If the plane isn¹t stable, she¹s to ³go around² again, he says. ³No problem there,² she answers.

It was just a few days before Christmas and it was a blustery, gusty day as Flight 647 descended over Gilmore, Arkansas. An automated warning system alerted the crew to wind shear conditions at about 1,900 feet. But before it touched down, the plane appeared to passengers and Redditt to be properly
oriented.

On the ground, after the landing gear collapsed, the right wing caught fire and the plane had to be evacuated. When the inflatable escape slide was deployed, however, wind gusts blew it under the fuselage. The crew and five passengers had to escape through cockpit windows. Besides Sclair¹s rope
burns, another passenger fell, injuring a shoulder.

Before escaping, an amateur video obtained by the NTSB showed, those inside threw personal belongings, including Christmas presents, from the plane. In the wake of the accident, FedEx issued a directive that crews were to exit as expeditiously as possible in an emergency and not take unnecessary risks
to salvage personal baggage.

The accident also resulted in a Federal Aviation Administration advisory. Because the airport rescue crews expected only three crew, total, and seven people escaped the flight, the FAA recommended cargo operators provide personnel manifests for all incoming flights.
--------------------------------------------------------
Contact Washington correspondent Bartholomew Sullivan at (202) 408-2726.

In 1994, an unidentified previous employer indicated unsatisfactory proficiency ratings that year were the result of Sclair¹s ³generally poor airmanship

Don't you just love the people who come out of the woodwork to dance on someone's grave? "Someone who is afraid to reveal their identity, yet willing to break confidentiality and privacy laws, said that NINE YEARS AGO, she didn't fly as good as he liked"

Don't know this broad, have no stake in this at all, but geez.....

the 358,000-pound MD-10, battling headwinds after a brief wind shear alert

By Bartholomew Sullivan

We're all sure you could do better, Bart. Time to pick your sister up from "work" in Orange Mound.

I think it was applicable when you add up the busts in 1999 and 2001. Also throw in the altitude violation as well.

Don't know many pilots that have that kind of resume.

Let's see, she passes 70% of her proficiency checks in the last ten years. Might be passing in some fields but adds up to total hull damage in this one. Sometimes it isn't your day, but when it adds up like this, sometimes it isn't the right career.

Hopefully this will open up another Fedex spot......

furloughed dude said:
I think it was applicable when you add up the busts in 1999 and 2001. Also throw in the altitude violation as well.

Don't know many pilots that have that kind of resume.

Let's see, she passes 70% of her proficiency checks in the last ten years. Might be passing in some fields but adds up to total hull damage in this one. Sometimes it isn't your day, but when it adds up like this, sometimes it isn't the right career.
I will not speak in defense or prosecution of either pilot (their was an Instructor in the seat, too), but I want you to consider this. Put yourself in the shoes of management - - the Company that operates the airplane, and employs the pilot. An accident has just ocurred that resulted in the total loss of the airplane.

If you could place the blame on one of two things (it's hypothetical, but bear with me) which would you prefer to blame, the pilot, or the landing gear?

If you can blame the pilot, you can fire the problem.

If you can blame the landing gear, you've got 32 more airplanes with the same problem, and 10 more airplanes on the way. IF it's also a problem on the DC-10 (logic lends credence to such an assumption) you'll have 76 airplanes with the same problem by this time next year.

OK, you're management - - who do you want to blame?

Thanks, guys, for pitching in on the cause to make the Company's problem go away. Might as well convict the pilot - - heck, convict both pilots - - and the problem is solved. Until the next gear collapses, anyway.

I'm sure the Company is THRILLED to death that the article ran in the Commercial Appeal - - excellent Public Relations - - hey everybody, FedEx is a great company, we have great airplanes, you all love us, we all love you.... oh, and by the way - - those pilots that can't seem to even pass checkrides or land airplanes without crashing them - - they want a pay raise - - can you believe THAT!?!?!?

Please - - just think about the implications of what you say. If you had done everything right that day, and the gear collapsed on rollout... wouldn't you want to be given the benefit of the doubt? Then, please, let's give these pilots the benefit of the doubt. It's in their best interest, and it's in OUR best interest. Let the investigation continue. We'll comment on the final report, howboutit?

furloughed dude said:
Hopefully this will open up another Fedex spot......
Actually, a hull loss nets more losses of crews than the two pilots there that day.

Any XJers know why Robyn Sclair was fired from Mesaba? Sounds like a real piece of work. Late to work, Attitude, Failures, Fired from Mesaba. All around just a poor pilot. Hopefully FedEx will see Miss Sclair for what she really is.

MD-10?

Uhhhhhhhh, What's an MD-10???
Is that a Glass cockpit DC-10, a steam gauge MD-11, or a new Boeing hybrid?

Tony C-

That was the best post I think I have EVER read from you, nice job. 'Spin city' will be the word of the year until the next contract is done.

Sleddriver77-

A MD-10 is a DC-10 cockpit gutted and then replaced with a glass MD-11 cockpit. Basically turns a 3 crew bird into a 2 crew turd.

Re: MD-10?

sleddriver77 said:
Uhhhhhhhh, What's an MD-10???
Is that a Glass cockpit DC-10

bingo

their was an Instructor in the seat, too
You mean "there", don't you? I mean, since you are usually the spelling and grammar police, I thought I'd point that out.

:D

Minh

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back